Assistant Professor of Graphic Design
Position Overview: Merrimack College, located in the Boston area, invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Graphic Design, tenure-track, commencing fall of 2017. We seek an individual interested in working within an exciting, growing academic environment, with a contemporary perspective on graphic design, web and mobile technology.
Applicants should demonstrate a broad understanding of contemporary design practice and theory. Additionally, applicants should versed in teaching core undergraduate graphic design courses such as systems, typography, and identity design, as well as in one or both of the following digital areas: web design and interaction design.
Teaching load is three classes per semester. He or she will demonstrate a commitment to participation in curricular initiatives, strategic planning, department service and development, student advisement, and faculty governance of the College. In addition, the successful candidate is required to pursue research/creative activity in their discipline and build a substantive record of professional/peer recognition.
Applicants should be committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service. The Graphic Design major is one of three majors within the Department of Visual & Performing Arts in the School of Liberal Arts. The position is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- MFA or equivalent terminal degree in Graphic Design, or closely related field by contract start date
- College-level teaching experience
- Thorough knowledge of discipline’s contemporary processes, theory, criticism, and technologies
- Ability to teach across the Graphic Design curriculum
- Demonstration of an active publications/exhibition record, awards and professional accomplishments as a designer. The applicant’s portfolio should show expertise in creative and professional practice.
- Professional working knowledge of HTML5, CSS, Wordpress, Invision, and Adobe CC software
- Knowledge of and ability to teach motion graphics
- A desire to identify and foster creative and innovative interdisciplinary collaborations within the
Department and the School of Liberal Arts, as well as across the College with Computer Science, Business, and other areas.
- Teaching load is 3/3 (3 courses per semester)—first year will be 2/3
- Teaching courses across all levels of Graphic Design from 2D Design to Senior Thesis
- Assist in development of program curriculum
- Student advisement
- Continue to pursue research/creative activity in the discipline and build a substantive record of professional/peer recognition
- Develop interdisciplinary partnerships with other College programs
- Assist with student recruitment and internship advisement
- Participate in College and departmental service and governance
Application should include:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Samples of relevant course syllabi
- Contact information for three professional references (letters will be required for employment)
- Web links to creative/scholarly work and student work
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of the employment without assistance from the Institution. International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.
To Apply: Applications and questions should be sent electronically to email@example.com and addressed to Dr. Laura Moore Pruett, Chair of the Visual and Performing Arts Department. Visit the Visual and Performing Arts Department website for more information.
*Application deadline for priority review has been extended to February 15, 2017.
Contact Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.