Campus Police Officer On Call
Position Overview: The Merrimack College Police Department seeks applicants for the position of On-Call Campus Police Officer. Principal responsibilities include patrols of college buildings/grounds; safety and security of college community members and property; enforcement of laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the rules/regulations of the college; response to medical calls, fire alarms, and other emergency situations. This is a sworn police position.
- Patrol of college buildings and grounds to ensure the safety of people and security of buildings and other property.
- Enforcement of the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, town by-laws, and college regulations and policies.
- Conduct investigations and work collaboratively with other agencies in this regard; refer violations to the college’s student conduct system and/or the criminal court system, placing person under arrest or protective custody when appropriate; testify in court and college conduct system hearings.
- Enforce parking rules and regulations, assist with vehicular and pedestrian traffic and provide safety escorts and supervise crowd control at college events.
- Respond to medical calls, fire alarms, and other campus emergencies, providing assistance as required.
- Familiarity with dispatching duties to include radio dispatching, answering business and emergency phones, performing various computer duties, maintaining the department log, and other clerical tasks.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- An Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice from an Accredited College/University coupled with the 345 Hour Reserve Intermittent Police Academy or completion of a full time MPTC Academy or full time SSPO Academy; or
- Employment as an Auxiliary/Seasonal police officer with a minimum of two years (documented 4000 hours) work experience
- Must possess a Massachusetts Class A Large Capacity License to Carry for department approved weapons and maintain it as a condition of employment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and not have a significant history of motor vehicle infractions.
- Must be able to obtain special state police powers under MGL c. 22C, §63 at hire and retain these powers as condition of continued employment.
- Must meet standards of initial qualifications at range with department issued firearm, and re-qualify biannually thereafter.
- Must obtain CPR, First Responder, pepper spray (OC) and expandable police baton certifications. Must retain these certifications through department-offered training (or through other approved training at own expense).
- Must successfully complete physical examination (including drug-screening), psychological screening, and background investigation prior to hire. Incumbents may be subject to random drug-screening after hire, with or without advance notice.
- Must be able to complete appropriate police training academy as required by department.
- Must be physically fit and able to conduct patrols of campus via cruiser, bicycle, and foot; able to stand/sit for extended periods of time; work outside in wide variety of weather conditions; may be required to perform duties in potentially dangerous/hazardous situations; must perform duties with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Must attend all department meetings, complete annual in-service training and any other training required by law and/or the college.
On-call officers must work at least 24 hours monthly, with one of their three mandated shifts to include a Friday or Saturday shift from either a 6:00 pm to 2:00 am, 8:00 pm to 4:00 am, or 11:00 pm to 7:00 am shift as posted, within a 30 day period. Friday and Saturday shifts will be posted at least 28 days in advance. On-call officers are also obligated to work one major holiday annually.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.