Chief Marketing Officer and Vice President
Position Overview: Reporting to the Executive Vice President (EVP), with a dotted line to the President of the College, the Chief Marketing Officer and Vice President (CMO & VP) will be a member of the Executive Leadership Group (ELG), which steers the College’s overall direction. The CMO & VP will be the “go to” expert responsible for the institutional brand, marketing and communications strategy, priority setting and management, and the coordination and execution of the marketing strategy to internal and external stakeholders.
The CMO & VP position is being created at a moment in Merrimack’s proud history when the excitement of a rejuvenated institutional community continues to push the College to achieve new goals in enrollment, fundraising, campus development and academic prestige. Our culture, growth and momentum require a CMO & VP adept at leading continued refinement of our brand, marketing and communications strategies and the tactics and processes required for successful execution. The CMO & VP will directly impact the operational excellence of the teams reporting to him/her as well as the adjacent teams across the College community with whom they coordinate, including Academic Affairs, Admissions, Alumni Relations, Athletics, Career Services, Development & Alumni Relations and Enrollment Management.
Merrimack College is an independent, coeducational institution with 3,900 undergraduates, graduate and continuing education students from 34 states and 36 countries, comprising schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 220-acre campus is situated approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
- Be a thought partner to the EVP, President, and ELG by providing expertise on branding, marketing and communications in Merrimack’s shared governance model.
- Oversee creation of effective internal and external strategies to enhance the College’s brand recognition regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Align branding and key messaging with the College’s long-term strategic plan.
- Oversee creation, refinement and implementation of branding, marketing and communications processes/protocols that ensure effective and timely execution of messaging creation and distribution.
- Manage all of Merrimack’s major print and electronic communications channels including print materials (eg., view books, magazines, brochures), web sites and social media presence.
- Create and launch an on-going institutional process for researching and assessing Merrimack’s marketing effectiveness relative to its competitive environment.
- Manage the Marketing and Communications teams including goals, measurable outcomes, assessment plan, budget, timeline, KPIs and benchmarks.
- In tandem with the SVP Planning and Strategy ensure the goals of Admissions and Marketing are aligned and achieved.
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s preferred
- 15+ years in development and execution of brand marketing and communications strategies
- Proven track record of working successfully and collaboratively in a fast-paced matrix organization for 10+ years
- 10+ years in a senior marketing and communications role supporting C-suite executives and/or senior administrators
- A proven track record over 5+ years in senior leadership handling development and execution of branding, marketing and communication plans in coordination with multiple stakeholders
- Experience leading, empowering and developing creative and administrative teams responsible for marketing and communications across multiple media
- Track record of leading a data/metrics-driven approach to evaluating strategic alternatives and measuring success
- A track record of being adept and creative with digital media technology and a willingness to embrace emerging technologies that enhance relationships with our constituents
- A record of success with social media in an integrated communications and marketing plan
- A comprehensive understanding of the communications process, from creative conception through fulfillment in both print and electronic media
- Relevant experience in both the for-profit and not-for profit sectors
- Understanding of trends in higher education and the ability to use that knowledge to deliver innovative communications to segmented audiences
- Ability to forge strong working relationships and facilitate conversations across multiple stakeholders and reach consensus on priorities
- Strong project and resource management skills
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter, resume and current portfolio via link or attachment.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.