Director of Marketing & Communications (ODAR)
Position Overview: Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations, the Director of Marketing and Communications will lead efforts to ensure an effective communication strategy is designed and implemented to internal and external audiences. Among the core responsibilities are to promote effective, streamlined, and coordinated communication to all constituents and across the department.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will implement comprehensive, cohesive, and effective communications strategies to create a culture of philanthropy and to increase engagement with the College. These communication strategies support the strategic and operational goals of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations and the Merrimack College community.
- Conceptualize and subsequently oversee the implementation of an integrated communications plan to advance the goals set forth for the Office of Development and Alumni Relations
- Design and disseminate a communications plan to further engage the Merrimack community (alumni, parents, faculty, staff, students and friends) to create a culture of philanthropy, and to increase volunteerism, advocacy, and giving during and beyond the College’s current 5-year comprehensive fundraising campaign (2015-2019).
- Craft messaging and coordinate communications for the Office of Development and Alumni Relations (including O’Brien Center for Career Development) related programs: help shape programs to most effectively deliver intended messaging (i.e. through remarks, student presentations, and collateral and on- and off-screen signage).
- Work closely with the VP of Major Gifts and Campaigns to conceptualize campaign marketing assets including messaging points, feature profiles, a case for giving, supplemental brochures, direct mail pieces, newsletters, and video. Oversee the production of these assets by third-party consultants and contractors.
- Collaborative partner for development and implementation of Donor Services/Stewardship plan, collateral pieces and donor recognition implementation.
- Ensure communications standards and expectations are shared and implemented across the department and encourage colleagues to engage in advance planning and coordinated review for communications needs.
- Coordinate a comprehensive communications calendar that includes emails, newsletters, print, social media and web communications thoughtfully planned and executed throughout the department.
- Work with department managers to ensure marketing/communications collateral are within scope of budget.
- Create and sustain supportive and collaborative partnerships with the College’s Office of Communications as well as colleague organizations on campus.
- Supervise Communications Specialist.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications, marketing or a related discipline
- 7-10 years of progressively responsible experience in strategic communications, public relations, media relations, marketing or related areas, preferably within higher education
- Demonstrated proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of products, InDesign, Photoshop
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills with an audience-based, result driven approach to strategic communications.
- Senior-level experience in developing strategic and comprehensive communications plans and related content, and executing against those plans to achieve goals and objectives on schedule.
- Familiarity with tracking systems and a high degree of comfort with using technology to communicate and share information. Millennium experience a plus.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.