Dir of Project Learning, Assoc/Full Prof of Management/Marketing
Position Overview: The Girard School of Business at Merrimack College seeks applications for the newly created position of Director of Project Learning. This is a faculty position within the Management or Marketing Department for an experienced professor who is currently tenured at the rank of Associate or Full Professor. The primary responsibility of this role will be to teach a consulting project course in which student teams provide real solutions for non-profit and other clients. In this course, students work closely with a client over a full semester to understand the scope of the project, develop real solutions, and formally present the recommendation plan to the client.
The successful candidate must have experience leading student team projects for clients and also be a distinguished, tenured faculty member, with a record of excellence in scholarship, teaching, and service. The person hired for this position is a faculty member in a department and is expected to cover other department courses, as necessary.
The Director will initially be involved in drafting a handbook for this program, working with potential clients to scope out the initial set of client projects, and structuring and designing the course. This course is for upper-level undergraduate business students, although there is potential to expand this to develop a graduate level version of this course.
• Develop and teach consulting project courses built around leading student teams working on meaningful projects for clients
• Collaborate with company/organization clients to scope out and develop consulting projects for student teams and maintain relationships with these clients to develop a stream of appropriate projects
• Develop the foundations for this progr.am- including creating a program handbook, structuring the course, and selecting an initial focused set of client projects
• Manage and balance the clients’ and students’ expectations throughout the project cycle
• Contribute to the research and teaching agenda of the department and school
• Ph.D. in Management, Marketing or related field from an AACSB-accredited university
• Currently tenured member of a Management or Marketing Department and have a distinguished record of achievements
• Ongoing record of scholarly publications
• Evidence of active participation in academic community
• Record of teaching excellence
• Prior professional experience in non-profits and/or management consulting required
Application materials should include:
• Letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications
• Current and complete CV including details on teaching, research, service, and consulting activity
• Other materials (e.g., teaching evaluations, copies of research papers, references, etc.) will be requested of finalists at a later stage- please do not include these at this time
About Merrimack: Merrimack College is a selective, independent, co-educational institution with more than 3400 full time undergraduates and over 600 graduate students from 22 states and 17 countries. Merrimack’s beautiful suburban campus is situated 25 minutes north of Boston in North Andover, Massachusetts.
Both Merrimack College and the Girard School of Business are experiencing growing undergraduate and graduate enrollments. The Girard School of Business created a new model of graduate education -offering one year specialized master degrees in management and accounting, with plans to add more programs to the portfolio. The school emphasizes experiential learning and gives all business majors working knowledge of and hands-on experience using Bloomberg terminals at the Mucci Capital Markets Lab. In addition, the school is developing and launching innovative programs, such as the Financial Capability Center .
Merrimack College has a strong and growing regional and national reputation. After placing 9th for four consecutive years in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Regional Colleges (North) Merrimack moved into the Best Regional University (North) category, debuting tied at 57 out of 187 institutions. In a separate Best Value ranking among the same group, Merrimack was named number 40.
Andover/North Andover, located in Essex County, are small towns located just 23 miles north of Boston. Low crime rate, low unemployment, and high quality school systems contribute to their appeal on best places to live. Combining the best of both worlds, the area offers vibrant downtowns with shops, coffee houses, restaurants, art museums, galleries along with farms, rivers, reservoirs, and numerous parks. A short commute via highway or public transportation brings you into Boston, widely viewed as the intellectual and historic capital of the United States. It is a cosmopolitan city with a broad range of amenities, and a rich tradition and culture almost unmatched in the rest of the country.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please apply only through Academic Jobs Online.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.