Director, Buildings and Grounds
Position Overview: Merrimack College seeks a dynamic facilities professional who must be an experienced maintenance professional with a strong skillset. In this newly created position, the Director will have overall responsibility for all maintenance, grounds and housekeeping functions in support of the College. The incumbent is expected to have a hands-on role in the overall operations of all physical facilities as well as handling administrative functions. This role will have a strong emphasis on interaction and communication with the staff, our students and the overall College community, as well as external contractors. Responsibilities also include overseeing staff, payroll and operational expenses and supply and capital expenditures. This position reports to the Vice President, Facilities and Business Services and supervises a team of 35+, with two direct reports.
The Facilities Team is responsible for day-to-day physical operations of the Campus, including safety, maintenance and repair, space management, and capital project support. In addition to leading the Facilities Team in its delivery of services, the Director will assist in utility management, sustainability, move coordination, and developing deferred maintenance budget efforts.
Leadership: Supervise a team of 30+ and prioritize work assignments in the day-to-day facilities services operation of the College. Collaborate with senior leadership, faculty, residence life staff, as well as other staff, and students to create a proactive physical environment on campus.
Management: Hire, supervise, evaluate, and schedule non-exempt employees. Manage vendors and contractors to achieve the best outcomes and meet deliverables
Communication: Responsible for consistent and clear reporting of departmental metrics. Comply with all College policies and procedures. Obtain appropriate levels of approval on all work products
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Planning, Facilities, Construction Management, Business, or other related field, combined with at least five years supervisory experience in facilities related management, in a complex business or educational setting
- Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field, combined with a minimum of ten years of experience with increasing responsibility in facilities related management, in a complex business or educational setting
- Previous maintenance and housekeeping management experience in a fast paced residential environment.
- Strong working knowledge of applicable building systems, athletic ice and field maintenance.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with MS Office including Excel, Word required. Experience with MS Project, Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator and/or CAD, a plus
- Demonstrated sound judgment, an appreciation for a highly innovative environment, and the ability to adapt easily to new ideas and circumstances to propose creative solutions
- Must be comfortable in a diverse environment and able to build productive working relationships with a wide range of constituents.
- Bi-lingual ability (Spanish and English), highly preferred
- Occasional evening or weekend hours may be required, as well as on call capacity
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Email Address: