Director, Facilities Services and Construction
Position Overview: Merrimack College seeks a dynamic facilities professional with a background in construction and experience in team and project leadership to manage its trades, construction and deferred maintenance areas. In this newly created position the Director will oversee, manage and prioritize MEP tasks including electrical, plumbing, HVAC and general construction. In addition, this role will have a strong emphasis on interaction and communication with the staff, our students and overall community, as well as external contractors. Responsibilities include overseeing facilities staff, payroll and operational expenses, supply and capital expenditures. This position reports to the Vice President, Facilities and Business Services and supervises a team of five, with one direct report.
The Facilities Team is responsible for day-to-day physical operations of the Campus, including safety, maintenance and repair, space management, and capital project support. In addition to leading the Facilities Team in its delivery of services, the Director will assist in space planning, move coordination, and developing deferred maintenance budget efforts.
Leadership: Supervise a team, including a Facilities Supervisor (or Trades Supervisor) and prioritize work assignments in the day-to-day facilities services operation of the College. Collaborate with senior leadership, faculty, residence life staff, as well as other staff, and students to create a productive and proactive physical environment on campus.
Management: Hire, supervise, evaluate, and schedule non-exempt employees. Manage vendors and contractors to achieve the best outcomes and meet deliverables. Develop and implement solutions to facilities-related issues derived from operations including but not limited to equipment and maintenance repair and installations, facilities construction and renovation projects, safety, and general utilities.
Space Planning/Construction Project Development: Actively participate on construction projects inclusive of direct budget and project responsibility for capital projects of $150,000 and below. Develop locational database for all campus buildings. Develop short-term space plans for review and approval. Design and execute move coordination. Develop scope, create budgets and schedules and lead project teams.
Communication: Responsible for consistent and clear reporting of departmental metrics. Comply with all College policies and procedures. Obtain appropriate levels of approval on all work products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Planning, Facilities, Construction Management, Business, or other related field, combined with at least five years supervisory experience with project design and development in a complex business or educational setting
- Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field, combined with a minimum of ten years of experience with increasing responsibility in facilities related management, in a complex business or educational setting
- Strong knowledge and understanding of core areas: facilities or physical plant operations, trades, facilities planning, construction and renovation
- Experience managing complex projects and deadlines and creating report budgets of the same.
- Demonstrated skills in personnel and overall resource management and the ability to provide strategic facility development and management
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with MS Office including Excel, Word required. Experience with MS Project, Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator and/or CAD, a plus.
- Ability to respond effectively to emergency situations, including natural disasters
- Demonstrated sound judgment, an appreciation for a highly innovative environment, and the ability to adapt easily to new ideas and circumstances to propose creative solutions
- Must be comfortable in a diverse environment and able to build productive working relationships with a wide range of constituents.
- Occasional evening or weekend hours may be required, as well as on call capacity.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Contact Email Address: