Position Overview: The staff writer will serve as a general-assignment writer for Merrimack print publications, including Merrimack magazine and the Merrimack College Record; other print collateral requested by the campus community; and the Merrimack College website. S/he will find, report and produce compelling news and feature stories to promote Merrimack’s people, policies and initiatives in support of the college’s brand-awareness efforts. In addition, the writer will work with web editors across campus to produce and refine content for the college’s website as well as write copy for campus-wide e-communications. Finally, the writer will take occasional photographs and videos for use in campus print and web publications.
- Report and write engaging news and feature stories for Merrimack magazine, the Merrimack College Record and other college-wide print collateral, including brochures, posters, invitations and fact sheets.
- Working with web editors across campus, write content for academic and administrative pages comprising the merrimack.edu website.
- Write clear, concise and accurate campus-wide e-communications for distribution to the campus community.
- Take photographs and videos of campus newsmakers and events for use in Merrimack publications and on Merrimack website.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, public relations, journalism or a similar field.
- Formal training in use of desktop publishing software and content management systems.
- 1-3 years’ professional writing experience for a newspaper, magazine or website.
- 1-3 years’ experience working with desktop-publishing software (InDesign) and content management systems.
- Strong reporting, writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple short-term and long-term projects.
- Ability to produce high-quality writing on tight deadlines.
- Mastery of AP and/or Chicago style.
- Demonstrated ability to work across departments in customer-service capacity.
- Self-starter with ability to seek out interesting and newsworthy stories.
- Comfortable producing photographs and/or videos for news or marketing purposes.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume. All applications must be submitted using Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or Firefox 52 and higher.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.