Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Writing Center?
The Writing Center is located on the third floor of McQuade Library, Room 320—between the Alden computer classroom and the Mathematics Resource Center.
When is the Writing Center open?
Drop-in hours are from 9 AM to 9 PM Monday-Thursday, 9 AM to 4 PM, 6 to 9 PM Sunday
Who staffs the Writing Center?
- Writing faculty
- Professional Writing Consultants
- Graduate Writing Consultant in Higher Education program
- Peer Writing Consultants from a number of disciplines
- Peer Writing Consultants who are fluent in languages other than English, Armenian, ASL, French, and Spanish
- Writing Fellows assigned to specific courses
Can I make an appointment?
The Merrimack College Writing Center is pleased to announce that you can now make an appointment to work with a Writing Consultant. We will still have some Peer and Professional Writing Consultants available for drop in sessions, but signing up online for an appointment time will assure you that you will see a consultant at a time most convenient for you.
(Note: Safari is NOT fully supported, but you can use Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Firefox)
- Go to http://merrimack.mywconline.com
If you have never been to the Writing Center:
Click “Register for an account” and fill out the Registration Form as prompted then follow the directions below:
- Enter your Merrimack email and the password you chose for your account
(Note: If your account was created by a Writing Consultant during a drop-in appointment, please use the password “writingcenterMC.” You can change your password in “Update Profile & Email Options” in the drop down menu at the upper left side of the screen)
- Select the schedule you want to see from the dropdown menu and click “Log In”
- Once in the schedule, select the white box which represents a day and time that are convenient for you
- Fill out the Writing Consultant Form as prompted
- Click the “Save Appointment” button at the bottom of the page
- You will receive an email shortly confirming your appointment
Are online appointment available?
Yes, real-time appointments are Sunday through Tuesday evenings. Make an appointment in advance by going to MyMack and following the instructions.
What resources can be found in the Writing Center?
- Guides for writing academic papers
- Guides for grammar and usage
- Handbooks for writing in different disciplines
- Guides for non-native English speakers
- Computers for conducting electronic research
What can the Writing Center do for you?
The Writing Center can help you to grow more independent and confident in your academic, personal, and professional writing. You do not need to bring a completed draft before visiting the center. You can get help in such areas as:
- Interpreting assignments
- Choosing topics
- Organizing writing projects
- Solving specific writing problems, from getting started to editing/proofreading
- Developing effective revision strategies
- Learning to use critical reading as a means to perceptive writing
- Developing research abilities
- Creating your individual writing style
- Managing group writing projects
- Developing Power Point presentations
- Developing skills in written English if English is not your first language