Center for Student Research in the Life Sciences
The Center for Student Research in the Life Sciences (CSRLS) is the signature research and experiential learning Center for students and faculty in the Department of Biology. Born out of the former Center for Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences, it is the umbrella under which all faculty/student research is coordinated and is a model for fostering undergraduate research and providing rich experiential learning opportunities in the Life Sciences for all our students. The Center also facilitates faculty and student research partnerships between Biology and Chemistry and Biochemistry, Computer Science, Physics and Mathematics.
Undergraduate Student Research
The Center for Student Research in the Life Sciences (CSRLS) supports and helps coordinate all research areas in the Life Sciences that reflect Merrimack faculty expertise as well as promote Merrimack-community and Merrimack-business partnerships. Faculty-mentored research projects in cell and molecular biology, biotechnology, biochemistry, physiology, eco-toxicology, animal behavior and applied ecology all come under the umbrella of the CSRLS..
Some of the Highlights of the brief history of the CSRLS are the establishment of a Biotechnology/Biomedical Sciences Advisory Board with distinguished members from both industry and academia; the renovation of lab space in Mendel Science Center; the acquisition of a major gift donation of lab equipment from Wyeth to support student/faculty research in the program; the procurement of student internship opportunities for several Merrimack Biology majors at area companies; the inauguration of a Seminar Series and membership in the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council.
Several key features contribute to the ongoing success of our undergraduate curriculum:
- A comprehensive, interdisciplinary curriculum offering breadth and depth of study in cellular and molecular biology, biotechnology, genetics, organismal biology, ecology, and environmental biology
- Dedicated Faculty with demonstrated accomplishment in teaching, scientific research, and service to the Merrimack College community
- Faculty committed to close mentoring relationships with students - in the classroom and laboratories, and as advisors for career development
- High quality curricular and co-curricular opportunities for students
- Many alumni from professional degree programs at leading academic institutions such as Cornell, Georgetown, Tufts, and Johns Hopkins Universities
- Many other alumni who have obtained direct entry in the life sciences workforce
The CSRLS promotes student/faculty research, interdisciplinary initiatives in the curriculum, community outreach programs and corporate partnerships. The CSRLS occupies a suite in the Mendel Science Center on the campus of Merrimack College.
For more information, please contact:
Mark Birnbaum, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Student Research in the Life Sciences