The Merrimack Institute for New Teacher Support (M.I.N.T.S.) is here to provide an ongoing community and to guide and mentor new and current teachers.
What is M.I.N.T.S.?
M.I.N.T.S. is committed to providing professional support and resources to local new and developing teachers in the education field. We offer mentorship and professional development opportunities and create a community of beginning educators, more experienced teachers and alumni of Merrimack’s teacher-education programs.
Our vision is to support and empower beginning and developing educators to ensure that every student has a highly effective, well-prepared and confident teacher.
M.I.N.T.S. provides many resources for new teachers, including:
- Collaborative workshops, lectures and other professional-development opportunities to engage new teachers in a supportive atmosphere.
- An online community that connects new teachers with each other and with more experienced educators in the area.
- New-teacher support symposiums that bring together new and experienced teachers in the field and encourage connections in the local community.
- Mentorship provided by seasoned educators who offer support and feedback for new and developing teachers.
Goals, Outcomes and Objectives
- To provide support, guidance and resources to ease the transition of beginning teachers from novice to professional.
- To foster a heightened sense of confidence in new teachers by promoting methods and techniques in stress reduction, classroom management and self- and student motivation.
- To familiarize beginning teachers with the responsibilities of teaching and adapting to the culture of the education profession.
- To provide strategies and resources from experienced educators to early teachers for creating a collaborative and supportive community.
- To increase retention of new and developing teachers in the local area.
New Teacher Support and