Master of Public Affairs
With the Master of Public Affairs (MPA) at Merrimack, you’ll build skills and be well prepared to tackle society’s toughest challenges and promote positive change. Equipped with the leadership, analytic, and communication skills you gain with our MPA program, you can advance to executive management positions and pursue careers in government service, nonprofit organizations, public and private sectors, and the military. The MPA offers you the unique opportunity to improve your management and communication skills, delve into policy analysis, and gain a better understanding of your community’s contemporary challenges and most critical needs.
Working closely with our talented faculty in a collaborative classroom setting, you’ll deepen your theoretical and practical knowledge and apply what you learn in a capstone project tailored to your individual interests and career aspirations. Our faculty members have pioneered new research on large-scale cyberspace attacks, examined the politics of indigenous people, and explored citizen engagement in American democracy.
Career opportunities with the MPA
With a Master of Public Affairs, you’ll have multiple, dynamic career options in leadership and management roles. The MPA is a versatile degree valued by employers in government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private sectors.
Sample careers with an MPA:
- State/city management
- Fiscal and budget analytics/management
- Social and community service management
- Urban planning and management
- Policy and program analysis and assessment
- Human resource management
- Nonprofit management and fundraising
- Higher Education administrator
- Law enforcement
- Health administrator
Sampling of courses includes:
- Public Financial Management
- Foundations of Public Affairs
- Government, Business & Society
- Public Sector Economics
- Science and Energy Policy
- Comparative Public Policy
- Organizational Communication
- Biomedical Ethics & Public Policy
- Immigration Policy
- Intercultural Communication
- Public Administration
- The Public Executive
Apply online for the Master of Public Affairs program.
The MPA requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Standardized test scores are optional.