Students are required to complete (8) courses in the four years of the program. Freshmen in the program must maintain a 3.4 cumulative GPA, sophomores and beyond must maintain a 3.5 cumulative GPA.
A honors freshman should aim to complete at least three honors courses in the first year. Typically, 2 of the 3 courses should come from the following:
- Honors introductory to College Writing (FYW1050H) – Fall
- Honors Introductory to Religious Studies (RTS1100H) – Spring
- Honors Introductory to Philosophy (PHL1000H) - Fall
In addition, students may choose an honors section of Calculus, Physics, Psychology, Business or other courses depending on interest and availability.
Additionally, the Honors freshmen are pre-populated in special honors sections of the pilot First Year Experience (FYE1000). This is a 1-credit course with mandatory weekly meetings designed to facilitate a positive transitional experience and establish a culture of self-advocacy.
- Reflecting on Service (HON2001H) 1cr – Fall
- Reflecting on Service (HON2002H) 1cr – Spring
Students perform two hours of community service per week and meet biweekly to reflect on their service experience. The successful completion of a student’s service and of HON2001-HON2002 will count as one honors course. Click here to view the syllabus.
- Juniors are encouraged to design an independent research project in a non-honors course (Honors Component).
- Honors Senior Capstone I (HON4001H) 2cr – Spring
- Honors Senior Capstone II (HON4002H) 2cr - Fall
See details in attached “Honors Senior Capstone” Guidelines.