International Assistants (IA’s) support international students during their transition to Merrimack College and the United States in their first year. IA’s represent a variety of majors, cultures, and college extracurricular experiences. The program also focuses on providing a forum for cultivating cross cultural experiences and conversations that are mutually beneficial to the new international students and the IA’s.
Students interested in serving as an IA must be a Merrimack student for a least one semester with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 and in good discipline standing.
The following is a list of responsibilities that IA’s must fulfill:
- Serve as a member of the June Orientation Team
- Participate in Fall and/or Spring International Student Orientation and attend all training sessions before orientation
- Connect with your international student(s) at least twice a month to make sure that their transition is going well
- Meet with the Graduate Fellow for International Students twice a semester to reflect on and share their experience working with international students.
- Attend social and cultural events organized by the Office of international Programs and encourage international students to attend.