Angers, France: Foreign Language Program
Angers, a city of 156,000 residents, of whom 30,000 are students. Accessible in size and rich in history, Angers has a youthful, university-town atmosphere. Angers is an hour and a half by train from Paris. Lying in the heart of the Loire Valley, Angers is the capital of Anjou, a famous wine producing region. Angers offers a great diversity of cultural activities: a 13th century castle, numerous museums, film festivals, theatres, music.
The Université Catholique de l’Ouest (UCO)
The Université Catholique de l’Ouest originally a medieval university founded in 1373, was later reopened in 1875 and has a current student population of 12,000. The campus is situated in downtown Angers, a mere five-minute walk from the station and the nearest bus stops; it lies just minutes away from the main shopping area, restaurants, gardens, banks and administrative offices. The university campus boasts an unusual architectural blend of old and contemporary buildings, standing in a 5-hectare park.
Merrimack students studying in Angers, students take courses at the CIDEF, an institute designed specifically to serve the needs of foreign language learners, located within the Université Catholique de l’Ouest.
- French majors and minors only.
- GPA Requirement: 2.8
- Students must be in good disciplinary standing
- Open to Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
- Courses are instructed in French; students take a language placement test upon arrival in Angers
- Courses in other disciplines such as History, Art History, and Sociology are available to students at the intermediate level
- An optional month long intensive language program is available during the month of September before the Fall semester begins. This is recommended, especially for beginner/intermediate students to improve their language before the semester begins.
- CIDEF arranges housing on behalf of of Merrimack students
- Students live in foyers (residences) with other international and French students
- Spring 2017: Friday, October 7th, 2016
How to apply:
We are now accepting Spring 2017 applications. Apply Here!