The world-heritage city of Bath is a picturesque city which is full of cultural, intellectual and social resources. Living centrally in this compact and cosmopolitan environment provides opportunity for students to interact and discover the city, quickly becoming members of the community, rather than merely visitors. Within a safe and easy walk from their historic residences, students will find the first-century Roman Baths, the fifteenth-century Abbey, various galleries, theaters and museums set in and around glorious eighteenth-century architecture. The city is surrounded by green, wooded hills and the River Avon runs through its heart, making the countryside easy to explore on foot, by bicycle or boat. Bath is known as a student city about 1 in 5 of the city of Bath’s population of 100,000 are in full-time higher education, therefore the cafes, pubs, and restaurants cater to students.
Advanced Studies in England (ASE)
Established in 1987, ASE is proud of its reputation for academic excellence. Teaching takes place in small seminar groups (maximum 13 students) and tutorial-style classes. Courses are taught by highly-qualified British faculty, many from Oxford University, and the Programme enjoys ongoing academic ties with University College, Oxford. ASE aims to give all their students an insider’s view of Britain, its history, landscape and culture. Each semester includes a week-long residential at University College, Oxford and three days in Stratford-upon-Avon, where we attend performances by the world-renowned Royal Shakespeare Company, and organized day trips to some of the hidden rural treasures of England and Wales. Many of our seminars also include study trips to course-connected locations and events.
- Students take four 4-credit courses
- ASE offers an Education Program ideal for Education majors at Merrimack; it consists of a theory class along side a contemporary school placement
- ASE also offers a range of internships for credit
- ASE students live in town houses and flats throughout the centre of Bath
- GPA Requirement: 3.0
- Students must be in good disciplinary standing
- Open to Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
- All Merrimack students studying abroad for a semester/year are required to meet with the study abroad advisor in the Office of International Programs prior to completing their application.
- Complete the Preliminary Study Abroad Application; after this application is submitted a study abroad advisor will be in touch to go over the next steps in the application process.
- Complete and print ASE application form, the printed form should be taken for approval to the Office of International Programs for approval. Official Merrimack College transcript and all necessary documents must be submitted along with your application.
- Spring 2016 Semester applications due September 28th
- Fall 2016 Semester applications due March 28th