A city once divided, Berlin lies at the heart of Germany – literally and figuratively. While it is the second most populous city in Europe (metropolitan area notwithstanding), it maintains a more tranquil feel than other large cities, as 1/3 of the city is composed of forests, gardens, and parks. Berlin is not only the political capital of Germany, but arguably one of Europe’s capitals of art, culture, and politics. Berlin has amazing architecture, cuisine, museums, and music and is a favored destination for young travelers and students. Berlin is also home to some of the top universities in Germany and all of Europe.
API (Academic Programs International)
Merrimack students study abroad in Berlin through API, a study abroad provider which organizes the program, provides full on-site support, arranges housing, orientation, excursions and more. API students studying abroad in Berlin, study at Freie Universität Berlin through the FU-Best program.
Freie Universität Berlin
The FU-BEST (Berlin European Studies Program) was created by Freie Universität Berlin with the needs of American and international students in mind. Courses are generally taught in English, and students are required to take a German language course. Freie Universität Berlin is one of the top ranked universities in Germany, and is considered among the top 75 in the world.
- Students take five 3-credit courses
- Students are required to take a German language course as 1 of there courses; language courses are available to students at all levels
- All instruction is in English besides the language course
- API arranges housing on the behalf of Merrimack students
- Semester students in Berlin live in student apartments
- GPA Requirement: 3.0
- Students must be in good disciplinary standing
- Open to Juniors and Seniors
- All Merrimack students studying abroad for a semester/year are required to meet with the study abroad advisor in the Office of International Programs prior to completing their application.
- Complete the Preliminary Study Abroad Application; after this application is submitted a study abroad advisor will be in touch to go over the next steps in the application process.
- Complete online API application; submit official Merrimack College transcript and all necessary documents along with your application.
- Spring 2016 Semester applications due September 21st
- Fall 2016 Semester applications due February 22nd