Chengdu has a population of over 14 million, and is a booming
economic center. China’s “Go West” policy aims to build Chengdu
into a financial and cultural center on par with Beijing and Shanghai. It abounds with urban energy and entrepreneurial
dynamism, yet with a balmy sub-tropical climate, and a slower pace than Beijing and Shanghai, Chengdu is known for its quality of life. It is famous for its world-class cuisine, leisurely tea houses, local opera and
historic temples. It is also easy to escape Chengdu to hike or cycle through timeless rural villages, Buddhist and Taoist temples and monasteries, and mountain preserves. For those interested in wildlife and biodiversity, Chengdu is close to the Giant Panda Breeding Center and the Wolong Nature Reserve.
- All Merrimack students studying in Chengdu for the Spring 2016 semester will receive up to $5400 in scholarships
G-MEO (Global Maximum Educational Opportunities)
Merrimack students study abroad in Chengdu through G-MEO, a study abroad provider which organizes the program, provides full on-site support, arranges housing, orientation, excursions and more. G-MEO is dedicated to delivering a China study abroad program meeting the highest quality standards, and offering a wide array of courses in English, as well as Mandarin Chinese language training and hands-on learning such as internships and community service.
The Chengdu American Center for Study Abroad
Located in the heart of China,The Chengdu American Center for Study Abroad is located in the capital of Sichuan Province in China’s Southwest. The Center is established through a collaboration between g-MEO and Merrimack College, Concordia University, Fairleigh Dickinson University, and Norwich University, who will offer a range of their own courses by their own professors.
- Students take five 3-credit courses
- Students are required to take a 1 Mandarin Chinese Language course during their semester in Chengdu
- All courses are instructed in English
- Internship and Service Learning opportunities are also available
- G-MEO arranges housing on the behalf of Merrimack students
- Semester students live in standard double occupancy rooms with other international students at the Sichuan University Huaxi Campus in downtown Chengdu.
- GPA Requirement: 2.5
- Students must be in good disciplinary standing
- Open to Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
- All Merrimack students studying abroad for a semester/year are required to meet with the study abroad advisor in the Office of International Programs prior to completing their application.
- Complete the Preliminary Study Abroad Application; after this application is submitted a study abroad advisor will be in touch to go over the next steps in the application process.
- Complete online g-MEO application; submit official Merrimack College transcript and all necessary documents along with your application.