Galway is a charming coastal city on the west coast of Ireland. County Galway is Ireland’s largest Gaelic-speaking area in the country, and even today the mother tongue of much of the population is the native Irish language. The countryside surrounding Galway seems not to have changed in 150 years. Fields that were abandoned during the potato famine of the mid-1800s still lie untouched, and one sees the low stone walls and rolling hillsides that characterize Ireland. In the midst of the history and tradition of the countryside lies the bustling city of Galway. Students find plenty of diversion in the city labeled the “Cultural Capital of Ireland.”
API (Academic Programs International)
Merrimack students study abroad in Galway through API, a study abroad provider which organizes the program, provides full on-site support, arranges housing, orientation, excursions and more. API students who choose to study abroad in Galway attend the National University of Ireland, Galway.
The National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)
The National University of Ireland, Galway, located on the River Corrib. The institution was founded in 1845 as Queen’s College, Galway, and became part of the National University of Ireland system in 1908. Approximately 11,000 students attend the university, 1,000 of whom are international students. Visiting students can choose from a wide variety of classes in liberal arts, sciences, engineering, Celtic studies, law and business. Semester students are fully integrated with Irish students in their classes, housing arrangements and any extracurricular activities. The university sponsors over 80 academic, social and athletic clubs that provide wonderful opportunities to get to know local students.
- Students take 5 or 6 - 2.5 credit courses
- A credit bearing service learning course, designed specifically for study abroad students is available.
- API arranges housing on the behalf of Merrimack students
- Semester students in Galway live in student apartments; semester student may be housed with Irish and other international students
- GPA Requirement: 3.0
- Students must be in good disciplinary standing
- Open to Juniors and Seniors
- All Merrimack students studying abroad for a semester/year are required to meet with the study abroad advisor in the Office of International Programs prior to completing their application.
- Complete the Preliminary Study Abroad Application; after this application is submitted a study abroad advisor will be in touch to go over the next steps in the application process.
- Complete online API application; submit official Merrimack College transcript and all necessary documents along with your application.
- Spring 2015 Semester applications due October 1st
- Fall 2015 Semester applications due April 1st