From its quiet beginnings as a seaside fishing and trading port in the 14th century, to its rise as a leader in Spain’s industrial revolution, Bilbao has long demonstrated its ability to renew itself. Today, Bilbao is at the heart of Basque education, business, culture and fine art. Whether students are studying Spanish or creating art, they are immersed in the energy of this artistically rich city. The new symbol of Bilbao is the Guggenheim Museum, which was designed by architect Frank Gehry. Students can visit the Casco Viejo (the old quarter), filled with shops and restaurants, and also explore the newer side of Bilbao, with its modern architecture.
API (Academic Programs International)
Merrimack students study abroad in Bilbao through API, a study abroad provider which organizes the program, provides full on-site support, arranges housing, orientation, excursions and more. API offers students two options for study abroad in Bilbao: a fine arts program at the University of the Basque Country (Universidad del País Vasco) and two programs at the University of Deusto, including the Spanish Language and Culture program and the Business, International Relations and Spanish Language program.
The University of Deusto
Established in 1886, the University of Deusto is located in the heart of the city. Students study Spanish at the university’s department for visiting students, the Centro Internacional de Español (CIDE). Located across from the Guggenheim Museum, the University of Deusto has an enrollment of 14,000 undergraduate and graduate students offering numerous specialized diplomas, masters and Ph.D. programs. The University of Deusto also offers a variety of extracurricular opportunities for students, including athletic and social clubs. Internships in business and education, and a Spanish language in context practicum (focusing on cuisine and drama) are available for credit as well.
- Students take five 3-credit courses
- Students are required to take a Spanish Language course as 1 of their 5 courses.
- Courses are taught in Spanish and English; students take a language placement test upon arrival to determine which Spanish language courses they are eligible for.
- API arranges housing on the behalf of Merrimack students
- Semester students in Bilbao live with local host families
- GPA Requirement: 2.8
- Students must be in good disciplinary standing
- Open to Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
- All Merrimack students studying abroad for a semester/year are required to meet with the study abroad advisor in the Office of International Programs prior to completing their application.
- Complete the Preliminary Study Abroad Application; after this application is submitted a study abroad advisor will be in touch to go over the next steps in the application process.
- Complete online API application; submit official Merrimack College transcript and all necessary documents along with your application.