From its inception as the center of the Roman Empire, to the bustling cultural and social mixing pot it is today, Rome’s history is long and complex with telling remnants of its story scattered about every place you go. The most fascinating aspect of Rome is its standing as a city where ancient and modern weave in and out of each other; it is hard to determine where one era ends and another one begins. Surrounded by historical landmarks, ages-old artwork, diplomatic and international organizations, the Eternal City is one of the major and most important centers of European political and social happenings and is considered to be one of the most strikingly beautiful cities in the world.
The American University of Rome
AUR uses Rome as its classroom and Italy and Europe as invaluable resources. AUR’s curriculum, taught in English, features small classes, award-winning international faculty, national and international field trips, and internship opportunities. Many of our courses are held on-site, allowing us to bring students face-to-face with the rich art, history and culture of this peerless capital city as well as other locations throughout Europe. Academic quality is complemented by a variety of extra-curricular activities ranging from clubs, athletics, and performance groups. Study abroad students interact with peers from Italy and all over the world, given the mix of Americans, local Italian students, and international students.
- Students take 5 3-credit courses
- Students are required to take an Italian Language course as 1 of their 5 courses. There are a couple options for Italian Language courses, students must take the 4 credit Elementary Italian course if they want to fulfill their Foreign Language requirement at Merrimack.
- All instruction is in English except the Italian language courses
- Optional 1-credit field based courses are available
- The American University of Rome arranges housing on the behalf of Merrimack students
- Students live with other international students, in fully furnished apartments in the areas surrounding the university campus.
- GPA Requirement: 2.8
- Open to Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
- Complete the Preliminary Study Abroad Application.
- Submit official Merrimack College transcript along with a copy of your passport to the Office of International Programs.