A free-spirited and vibrant city, Sydney is built around one of the world’s most beautiful harbours, and the white-sailed Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge are Australia’s pride and joy. More importantly, Sydney has emerged as a major cultural melting pot, with nearly 32% of Sydneysiders born overseas. This program will immerse you in the lifestyle of a typical Australian, including city living and studying on the campus of an Australian university.
CAPA International Education
Merrimack students study abroad in Sydney through CAPA, a study abroad provider which organizes the program, provides full on-site support, arranges housing, orientation, excursions and more. Students studying abroad in Sydney will take courses at the CAPA Sydney Center, located in the North Sydney area of the Lower North Shore. The historic Rocks district is located just a short ferry ride across Sydney’s famous harbor.
Students studying during the fall and spring semester will study with students from various US universities and colleges.
- Each course is worth 3 credits. Students may choose to take 12-18 credits.
- 3-6 credit internship opportunities! *must be atleast a second semester sophomore.
CAPA arranges housing on the behalf of Merrimack students. Students have the choice between homestays or student residences.
- Homestays are located in the city, but usually not downtown because families generally prefer to live in more residential areas on the outskirts.
- Student residences throughout Sydney will vary in terms of style, location, and amenities, but they all meet the following standard requirements: located no more than a 40-minute commute via public transportation from the CAPA Sydney Center; single beds / bunk beds; a place to store clothes (shelves or a closet); access to a kitchen equipped with basic cookware and utensils (this may be within the individual unit or within the building, and shared with other students); a bathroom with shower (this may be within the individual unit or within the building, and shared with other students).
- GPA Requirement: minimum GPA is 2.8 with preference given to those with a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Students must be in good disciplinary standing
- Open to Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
Program Start & End Date
- Fall 2017: 8/23/17- 11/24/17
- Fall 2017: Friday, March 10th, 2017
How to apply:
We are now accepting Fall 2017 applications. Apply Here!