Pre-law is an interdisciplinary law minor for students who are interested in attending law school, plan on pursuing legal-related careers or want to learn more about different areas of the law that may be relevant to their professional careers or to legal areas they are likely to encounter in their personal lives.
The minor provides students with exposure to substantive law courses and topics. For those students interested in attending law school, the courses in the minor will:
- Help confirm their interest in pursuing a legal career.
- Enhance the critical-thinking, analytical and other skills needed to be successful in law school.
- Provide insight into how lawyers think and analyze legal issues.
- Expose students to the Socratic method and to the unique way of studying the law used in law school.
- Provide students with sufficient knowledge and background in the law to be competitive in law school.
For students not planning on law school, the minor will provide them with practical information and exposure to the legal system and to the legal issues and topics that will be useful in their careers and personal lives.