Program Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from the biology program at Merrimack College will:
- Gain a broad background in the fundamental concepts of the biological sciences through demonstration of knowledge in three major subdisciplines of biology: cellular and molecular biology, organismal biology and ecology and evolution. This background will enable you to pursue further studies in biology and give you a background for lifelong learning in biology.
- Develop the ability to evaluate biological information critically, using the scientific method, analytical reasoning and quantitative skills.
- Develop critical thinking and communication skills, both oral and written, for purposes of conveying biological information to both professional scientists and the lay public, as well as develop intellectual independence, scientific literacy and an appreciation for the connections between biological science and society.
- Develop the ability to perform searches of the biological literature, exhibit intelligent reading and interpretation of the literature and use scientific literature properly in the writing of a scientific paper.
- Develop the capacity and skills for effective studying, independent learning and time management.