Department of Health Sciences
The Department of Health Sciences recognizes the many opportunities for health scientists, health care providers and human performance professionals in a dynamic, changing biomedical and social environment.
We offer a comprehensive educational program to prepare students for rewarding careers in health-related fields, and sponsor majors in Health Science, Sports Medicine and CAATE accredited Athletic Training. All coursework is built on a strong science, math, and technology foundation, integrated with the liberal arts and enhanced by Augustinian traditions and values.
- We challenge students to reach their full potential academically, in a participatory, collaborative and experiential learning environment.
- We support our academic programs with partnerships and affiliations with numerous healthcare and educational facilities in the Merrimack Valley.
- As a faculty, we commit ourselves to the personal and intellectual growth of each student, emphasizing the development of competence, compassion and confidence in preparing health and human performance scientists and professionals.
Join us on the Health Sciences Facebook page!
Merrimack’s dedicated faculty members assist students in pursuing health-based fields such as:
- direct patient care as a physician, dentist, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, physical therapist, chiropractor, optometrist, podiatrist;
- human performance as an athletic trainer, strength and conditioning specialist, personal trainer, health and fitness instructor;
- laboratory scientist in medical technology, biomedical research or biotechnology;
- educator in the life sciences;
- clinician or researcher in public health and epidemiology;
- business professional in the health care industry.
Merrimack has close ties within the local health science community:
- Students enjoy an unique opportunity via two special articulation agreements with the School of Health Sciences at Simmons College in Boston to earn preferred admission to the Simmons for post-graduate work (click here for details);
- Merrimack College students and faculty visit local schools through an interactive lecture series.
- Merrimack College hosts graduate school health fairs.
- The department hosts information sessions about our majors where prospective students and their families can meet with current students and faculty, tour the facilities and ask questions.
Volpe Athletic Center Expansion
Sports Medicine Expansion combines classroom work with internships and practicum courses for gaining clinical experience. Learn more>>
Personal reflections from service workers in Haiti