New Student Information
When can I apply for financial aid?
- Students can file for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) beginning on October 1st, a full three months earlier than last year. The FAFSA is available at www.fafsa.gov.
How does this benefit me?
- You will no longer need to estimate your tax information on the FAFSA, as you will use your 2015 tax returns. Because you’ll already have done your 2015 taxes by the time you fill out your 2017–18 FAFSA, you may be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) to automatically import your tax information into your FAFSA. Also, completing the FAFSA earlier will give you more time to explore your financial aid options.
Why does it matter?
- Students can now apply for financial aid at the same time as submitting any admission applications due before January 1, 2017. This includes Merrimack’s Early Decision and Early Action 1 deadlines.
When should I file?
- With the FAFSA being available as of October 1st, Merrimack encourages you to file the FAFSA no later than your admission application deadline, as listed on the application process webpages.
When will I receive my financial aid award?
- In order to receive the earliest possible notification of your financial aid award, please submit your FAFSA no later than the admission application deadline you have chosen.
What is a merit-based scholarship?
- Merit-based scholarships are based on a holistic review of a student’s admission record. Notification of scholarship awards are included with acceptance materials.
What is need-based financial aid?
- Need-based grants, loans and work programs are available from the federal and state government and Merrimack’s own sources. To apply, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at www.fafsa.gov.
What is the process for transfer students?
- Transfer Scholarships are a combination of need-based and merit-based funds. As stated above, to apply for need-based consideration, including federal/state grants, loans and work programs, applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, using the Merrimack College Federal School Code of 002120. The FAFSA is available online at www.fafsa.gov. Note: The 2017-2018 FAFSA will be available October 1, 2016 for those seeking Spring 2016 and Fall 2017 admission.
For More Information
Office of Financial Aid
315 Turnpike Street
North Andover, MA 01845