Skip to main content area Skip to main navigation Skip to institutional navigation Skip to footer

Rogers Center for the Arts

McCoy Gallery

Mark Soderling

Waterlogged

Paintings from 2012-2014

August 30 - September 1, 2015

The level of abstraction of my work is something I’m always considering. The difference in abstraction between some of my paintings is largely due to process. I consider myself a process painter.  When I decided I would like to work larger (5 x 4 feet), the process I chose to create the paintings influenced the level of abstraction in a sort of natural way. When painting the smaller paintings in the landscape, I move through the paintings very quickly and produce the paintings rapidly as well in hopes to make a very gestural and organic painting.  So when I decided to paint larger the question was how do I hold onto this spontaneous feeling in the work.  My answer was to use larger brushes (4 inches) and to thin the paint down to washes so that I could move through the larger surfaces at the same rate as the smaller surfaces.  This also required that I paint on the floor, which was new to me.  Because of my goal to have the larger paintings have a spontaneous feel my process changed with respect to materials and approach.  With the larger brushes, painting in washes and working on the floor I had less control and I think this was a contributor to the higher level of abstraction. Also, if abstraction is the essence of something, my smaller en plein air [outdoor] work had a major influence on the larger more abstract work.

Knowing my subject matter, the seascape, in a more specific manner at first allowed for a more abstract  interpretation. The larger abstract work was also created from memory and imagination and I feel the more abstract product was heavily influenced by not directly observing something.

-Mark Soderling