Career Paths in Education
The opportunity to teach is offered in various areas. There are opportunities within public schools, independent schools and charter schools.
- Pay for public school teachers is overall better than pay for private school teachers, though this differs by school.
- Public schools generally have a range of children from the whole different socioeconomic classes and a variety of backgrounds. Public school is an opportunity to meet it and learn to negotiate with other points of view an understand people with diverse backgrounds and values.
Independent School are said to have the following characteristics:
- Give teachers autonomy to shape the program to suit the needs and interests of the particular group of students within the structure of your mission and values
- They are supportive of professional development
- Reward innovation and growth
- Help teachers build real partnerships with parents
- Small classes
*There are only a few that do not require private school teachers to be certified
For more information go to: http://www.capenet.org/teach.html
Charter Schools have the following characteristics
- A charter school is a public school that is governed by a board of trustees and operates independently of any school committee under a five year charter granted by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (Board).
- It has the freedom to organize around a core mission, curriculum, theme, and/or teaching method and to control its own budget and hire (and fire) teachers and staff.
- A charter school must attract students and produce positive results within five years or its charter will not be renewed.
- There are two types of charter schools, Commonwealth charter schools and Horace Mann charter schools. Horace Mann and Commonwealth charter schools differ in that a Horace Mann charter school must have its charter approved by the local school committee and, in some cases, the local teacher’s union in addition to the Board.
For more information go to: http://www.doe.mass.edu/charter/qanda.pdf