Externships are experiential learning opportunities offered to give students short-term practical experiences in their field of study. This short-term work immersion allows students to observe professionals on the job and gain a hands-on understanding of an industry or career track. Students engage with an employer-partner during interim periods over winter break or during spring break. The length of an externship ranges from one day of job-shadowing, to one to three weeks of deeper engagement.
While an externship is a short term opportunity, it allows for long-term benefits. Externships are designed to lead to meaningful networking with employers, which in turn, leads to internships, co-ops or employment. Externships are noncredit, and there is no fee for participating. They may be paid of unpaid.
Student Externship Timeline:
- Resume Critique Walk in Appointment in O’Brien Center
- Applications Open, October 14th (Monday)
- Applications Due, November 15th (Friday)
- Participation Agreement Signed, November 22nd (Friday)
- Externship Orientation, December (one of the last days of classes 2nd-6th)
Externship Time Period, January 6-10th (Monday - Friday) and January 13-17th (Monday - Friday)
- Completion Packet Due, January 24th (Friday)
*Depending on the specific externship, externships can be for: 1-day, 5-days or 2-weeks.
Requirements for Participation:
- Open to sophomores and juniors
- Using Advantage, submit a resume and application describing your interest area(s). Participation is selective, and determined by quality of resume and career interests
- If selected, students must participate in an orientation session
- At conclusion, students are required to attend a post-externship meeting and complete a reflection/evaluation
Students, if you have questions please contact Alexandra Finney at firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-837-5132.
Employers, please direct your questions to Stephen Maser at email@example.com or 978-837-5461.