Externships are experiential learning opportunities offered to give students short-term practical experiences in their field, or a related field of study. This short-term work immersion allows students to observe professionals on the job and gain a hands-on understanding of an industry or career track. Students engage with an employer-partner during interim periods over winter break or during spring break. The length of an externship ranges from one day of job-shadowing, to one week of deeper engagement in the workplace.
While an externship is a short term opportunity, it allows for long-term benefits. Externships are designed to lead to meaningful networking with employers, which in turn, leads to internships, co-ops or employment. Externships are noncredit, and there is no fee for participating.
Student Externship Timeline
- Applications due
- Applicants will receive notice if they were matched with an employer and were selected to participate
- Participants must attend Externship Orientation
- Find out Externship placement and dates of participation
- Participate in the Externship experience - date will vary depending on placement
*Externships can be anywhere between 1 day to 5 days
Requirements for Participation
- Open to all students, but most beneficial to Freshmen and Sophomores
- Using Advantage, submit a resume and application describing your interest area(s). Participation is selective, and determined by quality of resume and career interests/opportunities
- If selected, students must participate in an orientation session
- At conclusion, students are required to complete a reflection/evaluation
Students and Employers, if you have questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (978) 837-5480.