Externships are experiential learning opportunities offered to give students short-term practical experiences in their field, or a related field of study. This short-term work immersion allows students to observe professionals on the job and gain a hands-on understanding of an industry or career track. Students engage with an employer-partner during interim periods over winter break or during spring break. The length of an externship ranges from one day of job-shadowing, to one week of deeper engagement in the workplace.
While an externship is a short term opportunity, it allows for long-term benefits. Externships are designed to lead to meaningful networking with employers, which in turn, leads to internships, co-ops or employment. Externships are noncredit, and there is no fee for participating.
Student Externship Timeline:
• Applications due Monday, November 2, 2015 (Application can be found here)
• Applicants will receive notice by December 1st if they were matched with an employer and were selected to participate
• Externship Orientation- Thursday December 3rd at 5pm, in Meeting Room B, 2nd Floor Sak
• Find out Externship placement and dates of participation
•Participate in the Externship experience - date will vary depending on placement, but students will be at their externship between January 4-15th
*Externships can be anywhere between 1 day to 5 days
Requirements for Participation:
• Open to all students, but most beneficial to Freshmen and Sophomores
• Using Advantage, submit a resume and application describing your interest area(s). Participation is selective, and determined by quality of resume and career interests/opportunities
• If selected, students must participate in an orientation session (Tentatively taking place on December 4th at 5pm)
• At conclusion, students are required to complete a reflection/evaluation
Students and Employers, if you have questions please contact Lori Dameron at email@example.com or 978-837-5442.