How to Use O*Net
- Click on the link below to be directed to the O*Net Interest Profiler
- Follow the instructions and complete the assessment
- Your results will feature scores on the following areas: Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, and Conventional. Click on each area to read a description of that particular interest area.
- WRITE DOWN your scores in a safe place. You will need to bring these with you to discuss your results with your Career Advisor. Your Career Advisor does NOT have access to your account and your scores will not save once you exit the program.
- Continue through the program to browse careers that match your particular scores.
- Click on the career name to get further information about that particular career, including what they do, knowledge, skills and abilities they have, personality traits they embody, education needed, job outlook, etc.
- Click the link at the bottom of the page titled “See more details at O*Net Online” to find even more detailed information on any particular career.
- Once you’ve reviewed the information on O*Net Online, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the “Sources of Additional Information” to be linked to even more career information through the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
**It is essential that this activity does not stop at your scores and looking through a list of related careers. You must thoroughly engage in career research and explore your options in detail. If preparing to discuss your results with a Career Advisor, be ready to discuss your research and bring along with you a few careers that you have researched thoroughly.