Destination Exploration is designed to support all first and second year undeclared students as they navigate through the major and career decision making process. This initiative encourages students to build connections to the academic community, faculty, peers, and to Merrimack College. The program provides students with complete support through a three-tier advising system including: career advisors, faculty advisors and peer ambassadors.
So you’re an undeclared major, now what?
- Take time and adjust to academic challenges and your new social life
- Attend events around campus
- Join an organization or a club
- Get a job on campus
- Get to know your resident advisor
- Use your resources
Your Career Advisor is a coach, mentor and advisor during your time at Merrimack. Career advisors assist you in discovering and developing your interests: support your career and academic decision making, and direct you towards tools and resources on campus to support your exploration process.
When do I meet with my Career Advisor?
You can meet with your career advisor at any time throughout the year. The O’Brien Center is open from 8:30 am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Who do I contact?
The O’Brien Center for Student Success
- Phone: (978) 837- 5480
- Book through your Advantage account. Once logged in, click on the “Request an Advising Appointment” on the right side of the home page under “Shortcuts.”
- Stop by the O’Brien Center for Student Success, 2nd floor of the Sakowich Campus Center.
- Google Chat with the “O’Brien Center”
- Email us to book an appointment that fits your schedule at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why is this so important?
Contacting your career advisor to set up an appointment is important because your advisor works to ensure that you are able to find your way in determining and achieving your goals while at Merrimack College.
Faculty advisors serve as your academic advisor, as well as a consultant during the add/drop or withdrawal process. Additionally, faculty advisors host advising appointments prior to registration, assist with the registration process and finally, assist with declaring or changing your majors or minors.
Students can find out who their faculty advisor is by following the below directions.
- Login to MyMack
- On the right side of the page click the link to the Registrar Office
- On the right side of the page there is a box which says Academic Information
- Your faculty advisor will be listed
A peer ambassador will be assigned to you, along with a group of other undeclared students, at the beginning of the academic year. Your ambassador will act as your guide throughout your exploration process from Orientation to Declaration. Peer ambassadors will also engage you one-on-one and inform you of on campus events that they suggest you to participate in, which are targeted toward your exploration and engagement with the Merrimack community.
Peer ambassadors provide support throughout your decision-making process and transition through the different phases of college. As an undergraduate student you will become empowered to make decisions, identify goals, increase your social and academic confidence, and learn from the experiences of your peer who was recently in your shoes.