Position Description & Responsibilities
Merrimack College’s Winston School of Education & Social Policy invites applications for an Academic Advisor and Program Specialist to join the Department of Criminology & Criminal Justice. This is a full-time, 12-month position, with occasional evening and weekend responsibilities. The job responsibilities for this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Student Advising and Academic Support
- Serve as the “wrap-around” academic advisor for students in the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice (CCJ).
- Advise CCJ students regarding internship preparation and placement.
- Support retention efforts by actively engaging with students while also managing student registration, coding, and graduation clearance.
- Track student registration progress.
- Maintain accurate student files in a digital database.
- Coordinates new student enrollment and deploy communications to students regarding advisor assignments, program charts, and initial course selection
- Requests, analyzes, and monitors registrar GPA reports and student degree records to ensure program compliance and appropriately notify students.
- Connect with offices across campus as a holistic success coach.
- Assists with daily office operations.
- Assists with space reservations.
- Maintains student lists, prospective student lists, course lists, mid-term reporting, attrition reports, and other statistical reports.
- Manages and directs inquiries from department email address.
- Assists Chair and Academic Program Manager with any special projects and events.
- Assists with recruitment of faculty.
- Coordinate with the Academic Program Manager to cover student support events (admitted student days, open houses, move in days, graduations, etc.) that may come up. Represent CCJ at events.
Internship Placement Support (Undergraduate level)
- Support internship preparation and conduct preliminary internship placement meetings with students to review requirements and placement options.
- Assist the Academic Program Manager in securing new placement opportunities for students.
- Collaborate with the Academic Program Manager on any placement needs.
- General support for department faculty
- Assists the Chair and Academic Program Manager in implementing program policies and curriculum
- Assist new adjunct instructors with access to Merrimack email, Blackboard, MyMack, grade entry and other acclimations to the college
- Facilitate course evaluations, and provide reports to the department chair
- Collect and archive current course syllabi
The successful candidate will possess a general understanding of both academic program administration and undergraduate program requirements. They will be highly detail oriented and organized, with excellent time management skills and the ability to function as both a team member and work independently when required. Excellent customer service skills and communication skills (both written and oral) are required, and public speaking experience is a plus.
In addition, the candidate should possess:
- A Master’s degree.
- 1-3 years of related professional experience.
- Previous academic advising experience preferred in an undergraduate setting.
- Proficiency with computer technology such as Microsoft Office and Google applications, and comfort learning new technologies is also required.
- Cultural competence and ability to support a diverse student body.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience with diversity, equity and inclusion.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include
Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 11/1/21
Position Code: 903