Position Overview & Responsibilities
The School of Liberal Arts at Merrimack College has an opening for 2 Academic Program Managers. These positions will provide student advising support for all of SLA’s programs located in Cushing and Sullivan Halls. (These include Economics, English, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Religious and Theological Studies, Sociology, Women’s and Gender Studies. World Languages and Cultural Studies, International Studies, Social Justice, Environmental Science and Sustainability, and the MA programs in Public Affairs and Spirituality.)
The following are responsibilities of the two Academic Program Managers:
- Maintain an updated list of current majors and minors
- Maintain and update student records and degree requirements
- Create and maintain students’ advisement files on Google Drive
- Arrange faculty/student advising meetings and prepare student files for advisement
- Work with the Registrar regarding registration and graduation requirements
- Perform department catalog changes
- Maintain department website and ensure it matches what is in the current catalog
- Assist students with forms (major/minor, pass/fail, grade changes), requests for information, scheduling appointments with faculty members
- Assist students with approved expense reimbursements and travel if necessary
- Put together ads for student workers; work with O’Brien Center and Handshake to post
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s degree preferred;
- Experience in college-level advising support preferred;
- Excellent problem solving, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills;
- Positive attitude and ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Willingness to learn and develop as an advising professional;
- Experience and/or commitment to working with a diverse student, staff, and faculty population;
- Ability to relate well to students, faculty, staff, and parents/family members.
Statement on Our Mission:
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue. Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
• Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning;
• Names and contact information of three references.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations and Remote Work:
This is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community. Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260-acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 1/8/22
Position Code: 940, 941