Position Overview & Responsibilities
The School of Science and Engineering seeks an energetic and experienced individual to fill the job of the Administrative Assistant for Life Science Departments. This person will provide administrative support to the department chairs and initiatives within the undergraduate and graduate programs. The Administrative Assistant will be a primary point of contact for faculty, staff and students and will act as a resource regarding the daily operations of the associated departments.
● Provide a high level of administrative support to faculty and chairs
● Manage advanced and complex administrative functions dealing with confidential and sensitive communication/information
● Balance a portfolio of projects relating to curriculum, faculty development, assessment, strategic planning and special projects
● Arrange meeting space and other pre- and post-logistics for internal and external meetings and events
● Monitor and maintain an inventory of office supplies and equipment. Purchasing materials and equipment for multiple departments, according to established college procedures and budgetary restrictions.
● Coordinate postings and regular timesheet submittals for student workers, according to established college procedures
● Coordinate and administer faculty surveys
● Manage submission of travel and expense reports for faculty
● Create organized systems and processes for managing administrative office materials (eg. syllabi, annual reports, assessment data, etc.). Establishes and maintains files according to records management specifications.
● Helping students connect with faculty or other departments/resources to address problems, which may include fielding calls from visiting students and/or parents
● Assistance in fall and spring semester construction of Master Schedules (ie. course and room scheduling in collaboration with affected/affiliated departments/programs)
● Works with other administrative staff and faculty to create and update necessary department documents and web-based information.
● Taking meeting minutes at departmental meetings as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• 3 or more years of relevant work experience in a professional office environment
• Higher education work setting preferred
• Ability to Work independently, multitask and prioritize workload to make regular progress and meet deadlines
• Strong computer proficiency required, including Google Workspace and Microsoft Office
• Competence and experience with budgets and financial information
• Website editing and social media skills
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 11/16/21
Position Code: 193