Position Description & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Student Success: Director of the Writing, Tutoring & Math Center and working in close cooperation with other personnel in the Academic Success Center, the Administrative Assistant is primarily responsible for facilitating the efficient operation of 21C (21st Century Literacy Partners) Centers and Programs (Tutoring & Math Center, Writing Center, Study Partners, Campuswide Tutoring) and supporting the First-Year Experience Program, The position is a twelve-month position for twenty hours per week; schedule is negotiable.
The position requires a commitment to and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion, cultural competency, and ability to relate to and to communicate effectively with students, staff, and faculty, representing diverse identities, communities and experiences
- Collect and perform rudimentary analysis of student data, particularly for 21C use by affinity group
- Produce and publish social media posts in Twitter and Instagram
- Collect, tabulate, and submit timesheets for student employees . This will involve navigating multiple timeclock systems.
- Create, maintain and update spreadsheets, tables and other documents.
- Coordinate communications across multiple centers and programs; monitor multiple emails and phone extensions and direct messages accordingly.
- Coordinate the accurate and timely completion of routine administrative department tasks and processes
- Assist in staff meeting and workshop preparation as needed
- Order printed and other materials and supplies
- Assist with website updates
- Access information from the College’s data management systems
- Provide a welcoming presence for all visitors and employees
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- A minimum of three years of experience providing administrative assistance, preferably in a higher education setting
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to coordinate multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience with MS Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher), Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Forms, and Calendars), database management, iPad apps (Explain Everything, Notability, etc.), and other technology- and/or web-based tools
- Visual design and social media experience strongly preferred
- Ability to carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision, work effectively both independently and collaboratively and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- A solid level of knowledge of campus department partners for consultation and referrals and of academic curriculum to give general academic advice and make referrals.
- The individual in this position must possess excellent human relations, problem-solving, accountability, and excellent written, oral, and technological communication skills.
- Previous experience working at the college level is preferred.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 11/9/21
Position Code: 703