Position Overview & Responsibilities
The School of Health Sciences at Merrimack College has an opening for an Advisor starting fall 2021. The Advisor will advise and mentor undergraduate students and support students in the School of Health Sciences. Advisor will be meeting 1-on-1 and in small group settings with students as well as maintaining regular outreach and communication with the students through e-mail and other electronic communication. Advisor will be the primary advisor for an assigned group of majors/minors. In this role, advisors provide student-centered guidance, curriculum planning, academic advising, assistance in selecting concentrations/minors/courses, initial exploration into career options, foundational level of academic support, and help students connect with clubs and organizations.
● Conduct academic and career advising for all undergraduate students within the School of Health Sciences.
● Serve as primary advisor for undeclared majors, transfer students, freshman, and minors within the School.
● Train, mentor and oversee freshman advisors (graduate student fellows).
● Assist students with operational processes including: course registration, withdrawal, change of major/minors, override request, etc.
● Maintain student records in accordance with existing policies, procedures and regulations.
● Assist students with foundational career exploration and guide students in opportunities offered through the O’Brien Center for Career Development.
● Build collaborative and supportive relationships with faculty and academic and career-related offices.
● Manage student record maintenance and assist students in tracking degree progress.
● Represent the school advising center/staff at undergraduate admission events and orientation events throughout the year.
● Make appropriate referrals to professionals across campus.
● Updates and maintains all materials including curriculum sheets and advising manual revisions and other advising forms
● Monitors adherence to School of Health Sciences academic grade policies and prepares notification letters
● Monitors the academic progress of students related to graduation requirements and policies
● Assists in planning and leading advising center workshops including, but not limited to MyMack training, major exploration events, Advising and Registration readiness.
● Perform all other duties as assigned.
● Master’s degree required.
● Excellent problem solving, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
● Positive attitude and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
● Willingness to learn and develop as an advising professional.
● Experience and/or commitment to working with a diverse student population.
● Ability to relate well to students, faculty, staff, and parents/family members.
Statement on Our Mission:
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue. Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application p revious experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
● Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 11/21/21
Position Code: 712