Position Overview: The Office of Residence Life seeks student-centered applicants to serve as an Area Coordinator. This is a full time, fiscal year position. The Area Coordinator (AC) reports to an Assistant Director of Residence Life and will provide leadership and management of a residence area of several residence halls. The AC will supervise 1-2 Graduate Resident Directors and up to 20 Resident Advisors, work closely with students, serve as a student conduct hearing officer, and participate in the on-call rotation. This AC will have a secondary assignment within the office to work with Student Leadership including the Residence Hall Association. The successful candidate must have a proven capacity to work well with all campus constituencies and demonstrate strong communication and organization skills.
- Provide leadership of a residential area, including supervising up to 20 resident advisors and 1-2 Graduate Resident Directors.
- Advise & mentor individual students, provide support to students of concern, and conduct mediations between residents.
- Coordinate the development of programs and activities within the residential area ; work with the Resident Advisor staff to develop a program vision, implement quality programs, and track programmatic efforts including managing a programming budget.
- Manage oversight of a residential area and its operations, including assisting students with room changes and tracking vacancies, managing facilities concerns, checking conditions of rooms and common spaces and billing students for damages.
- Oversee a secondary assignment within the office as determined by the needs of the office (i.e. Community Engagement & Programming, Student Leadership (Residence Hall Association), Staff Appreciation & Recognition, and Communication).
- Assist the central office with tasks such as the housing selection process, RA selection, and RA training.
- Participate as part of the on-call duty rotation, including weekends and holidays, and respond to crisis and emergency situations when the college is closed.
- Work collaboratively with the Merrimack College Police Department, Facilities and other offices.Serve as a hearing officer for student conduct cases.
- Attend weekly departmental staff meetings, and individual meetings with supervisor.
- Assist with college and divisional initiatives such as Orientation, Commencement, and various events during the academic year.
- Maintain familiarity with current trends in Student Affairs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Master’s degree required. Candidates should display a commitment to community development and programming, have an understanding and have past leadership experience in a college/university residence life setting. Two-three years experience in a residence life position in a college/university setting is preferred.
This is a full time 12-month live-in position. A partially furnished apartment is included as part of the live-in requirements of the job; additionally, a partial meal plan during the academic year is also provided.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.