Position Description & Responsibilities
The Area Coordinator provides overall management and supervision of a residential area (consisting of multiple residence halls). This includes the supervision of both the Graduate Resident Director(s) and student Resident Advisor staff, along with providing support to the resident population in their assigned area. There are two positions available.
- Provide leadership of a residential area, including supervision and evaluation of Resident Advisors and Graduate Resident Director(s).
- Advise & mentor individual students, provide support to students of concern, and conduct mediations between residents.
- Coordinate the development of programs and activities within the residential area; work with the Resident Advisor staff to develop a programming vision, implement quality programs, and track programmatic efforts.
- Manage residential area and its operations, including assisting students with room changes and tracking vacancies, managing facilities concerns, checking conditions of rooms and common spaces, and billing students for damages.
- Chair or co-chair of an assigned department committee (i.e. Community Engagement, Professional Development, RA Selection, Housing Operations, RA Training, etc.)
- Active participant in departmental task such as opening, closing, housing selection process, RA selection, RA training, etc.
- Serve as part of the administrator on duty rotation, including weekends and holidays, and respond to crisis and emergency situations when the college is closed.
- Work collaboratively with the Merrimack College Police Department, Facilities and other offices.
- Serve as a hearing officer for student conduct cases.
- Attend weekly departmental meetings, weekly area check-ins, RA staff meetings, individual meetings with supervisor, and all staff trainings.
- Assist with college and divisional initiatives such as Orientation, Commencement, and various events during the academic year.
- Maintain familiarity with current trends in Student Affairs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree Required
- 2-3 years of previous residence life experience in a college/university setting is preferred
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 9/19/21
Position Code: 467, 887