Position Description: The Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance will coordinate the administration of a comprehensive NCAA Division I compliance program within the Department of Athletics in addition to assisting with academics, eligibility and student-athlete services. This position reports directly to the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and Administration and will serve as a resource for Merrimack College student-athletes, coaches, staff members, and representatives of athletics interests in all areas of athletics compliance and will maintain compliance for the College’s membership in the NCAA, Northeast Conference and Hockey East Association. This position closely supervises graduate fellows.
- Monitors compliance with NCAA legislation, including all policies, procedures, and forms involved in managing the Athletic Department.
- Monitors all recruiting logs for NCAA compliance.
- Manages playing and practice season declarations.
- Monitors practice hours.
- Tracks NCAA violations as needed, generating report to be submitted to the NCAA.
- Researches rules interpretations, submits official interpretation requests to the NCAA, and provides final rulings to coaches in a timely manner.
- Collaborates with the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance to provide rules education sessions for all athletic department personnel, student athletes, and representatives of athletics interests.
- Operates NCAA and ARMS software to track overall department-wide compliance.
- Monitors official and unofficial campus recruiting visits to ensure compliance with NCAA legislation.
- Assists with various reports, including but not limited to, Academic Progress Rate, Sports Sponsorship and Demographics, EADA, Conference and NCAA required reports.
- Administers the National Letter of Intent program for incoming student-athletes.
- Coordinates the athletics aid renewal process
- Evaluates and certifies initial eligibility of student-athletes.
- Monitors the continuing eligibility of student athletes.
- Collaborates with the Associate AD in preparing official NCAA Squad Lists.
- Participates in the recruiting process by meeting with prospective student-athletes, as requested by coaches.
- Provides NCAA core course evaluations.
- Assists in developing and updating the student athlete handbook.
- Collaborates with the Athletic Department senior staff to ensure a comprehensive understanding and ability to administer all aspects of one another’s programs and assist one another when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Two-three years of experience working in a collegiate athletic department, with specific experience in compliance. NCAA Division I compliance experience preferred.
- Personal initiative, dependability, self-discipline, self-confidence, and the ability to overcome obstacles and focus energy.
- Customer-service mentality in working with student-athletes, coaches and staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with a variety of constituencies, including experience with supervisory skills.
- Experience in both short- and long-range planning and the ability to focus on administrative details.
- Patience and interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively with college student athletes.
- Ability to work nights and weekends to attend athletics contests as dictated by teams’ schedules and other special events on occasion.
- Ability to travel with teams when required. Successful completion of required background checks.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume,
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.