Position Description & Responsibilities
This full-time position oversees athletic events and operations for the Department of Athletics and is responsible for game-day management, athletic facility scheduling, scheduling of home and away contests in coordination with head coaches, administration of game contracts for non-conference opponents, coordinating team transportation for away games and off-campus practices, executing athletic facility rental agreements in accordance with college policies, and communicating with appropriate college personnel to ensure proper maintenance, safety and improvements of athletic facilities. Reporting to the Associate Athletic Director, this individual must act in accordance with all NCAA Division I, Hockey East, Northeast Conference (NEC) and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
- Oversee all home athletic contests including event set-up, game-day staffing (including student-workers), serving as primary contact for visiting teams, officials and spectators, coordinate with marketing, promotions and ticket operations, as needed, and oversee post-game event breakdown.
- Serve as master scheduler for the Department of Athletics: schedule all home and away contests, on and off-campus practices and meeting needs, internal campus requests and external facility rentals.
- Communicate updates and changes (internally) for all home and away athletic contests.
- Coordinate off-campus team travel, primarily ground transportation.
- Administer game contracts for non-conference opponents; create and communicate hosting protocols for all visiting opponents.
- Serve as liaison for the official assignor for each sport and ensure home schedules are submitted to sport-specific assignors/online system in a timely manner.
- Oversee event operations budget and purchasing as it relates to event management needs and capital projects.
- Coordinate medical services, police coverage and parking protocols for athletic contests.
- Create event management game-day manuals and visiting team guides.
- Responsible for maintenance of all athletics facilities and coordinate facility work requests and updates with the appropriate campus personnel.
- Collaborate with campus offices and areas including Facilities/Building Staff, Police Services, Physical Plant, Student Involvement, Admissions, Office of Development & Alumni Relations, and others.
- Oversight of graduate fellows, interns and student workers with office and game-day responsibilities.
- Execute athletic facility rental agreements in accordance with college policies.
- Participate in departmental activities including staff meetings, compliance education, diversity, equity and inclusion training, guest speaker presentations and other events/meetings.
- Assumes other responsibilities as assigned by the Deputy Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience in athletic event operations and/or game management.
- Experience managing and supervising staff and/or student workers.
- Knowledge of conference and NCAA DI rules with specific concentration in game management or facility management preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently multitask and handle competing priorities.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours including weekends, evenings and holidays
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
● Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
● Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 10/20/21
Position Code: 641