Position Overview: Supporting the mission for Merrimack College, the Director will have oversight of the design and implementation of the fitness center, and all programs and opportunities it encompasses. This position encompasses a wide variety of administrative and supervisory duties in the area of personnel, risk management, policy and procedures development and enforcement, program management, statistical data collection and reporting, and student and professional development as each relates to fitness programs. The successful candidate will promote and cultivate an environment that values collaboration, evidence-based decision making, and student development and learning. The position will have primary focus of growing and enhancing club sport programs consistent with institution goals related to recruitment, enrollment and retention.
- Coordinate all aspects of the Club Sport program with focus on expansion opportunities, funding initiatives and cross-institutional development of leagues and competitive schedules.
- Oversee the operational and program components of the fitness center, group exercise and personal training programs including recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of the fitness center supervisor, and desk attendants.
- Develop a robust intramural athletic program encouraging broad student participation
- Oversee the operational and program components of the personal training program, including recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of the staff members.
- Collaborate with key campus departments and student organizations including Athletics, Student Affairs, and various academic classes and programs to support and promote programming.
- Evaluate new programming methods and materials by researching industry and peer institutions; conduct participant surveys and analyze data; develop and present new program ideas for all areas of recreation; implement as appropriate.
- Assess the risk management of the space and provide recommendations to continue to improve on the safety of all patrons and staff.
- Serve as liaison to designated organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Adaptability to new/emerging technologies.
- Ability to thoughtfully and intentionally plan programs designed to reach a majority of students.
- Working knowledge of website management and social media.
- Experience in purchasing and budgeting.
- Experience working with recreational department in a college setting and knowledge of risk management and safety issues related to both.
- Prior supervision of student staff and experience with group exercise. Budget management and familiarity with student development theory preferred.
- CPR/First Aid/AED Instructor certification within first six months (required)
- One of the following: Nationally recognized group exercise and personal training certifications.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.