Position Description & Responsibilities
The assistant athletic trainers responsible for assisting the head athletic trainer in the day-to-day operations of the athletic training area, including but not limited to the prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries and/or illnesses for the student-athletes participating on 24 intercollegiate programs. This full-time position reports directly to the head athletic trainer and will work in accordance with NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference (NEC), Hockey East Association and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
- Work with designated teams and student-athletes at the direction of the head athletic trainer to provide injury and/or illness prevention and wellness protection.
- Provide clinical evaluation and diagnosis, immediate and emergency care, treatment and rehabilitation, health and well-being support to student-athletes.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a large range of medical problems. Assessment, evaluation skills and working with other healthcare professionals will be required.
- Ability to think critically and make independent decisions regarding the assessment, treatment, rehabilitation and return to play decisions per state licensure guidelines
- Maintain written/electronic documentation of all athletic injuries/conditions, treatment, rehabilitation and progress notes, including physician referrals and completion of insurance claims.
- Communicate with coaching staff regarding student-athlete healthcare and ability to practice and compete.
- Work cooperatively and communicate with the strength and conditioning staff regarding injuries and rehabilitation, treatment plans and programming for specific individuals.
- Adheres to the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) Code of Ethics.
- Represent Merrimack Athletics with the highest level of professionalism and integrity.
- Demonstrates a knowledge of and commitment to NCAA Division I rules compliance and institutional policies.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the graduate fellows and student interns.
- Ability to teach skills and competencies to students in the graduate Athletic Training Education Program; serve as a preceptor
- Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to NCAA rules compliance, Hockey East rules and protocols, and institutional policies.
- Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as well as trust and mutual respect.
- Participate in departmental activities including staff meetings, compliance education, diversity, equity and inclusion training, guest speaker presentations and other events/meetings.
- Fulfill other specific areas of responsibility related to the athletic training program as assigned by the head athletic trainer.
- Master’s Degree
- BOC Certified Athletic Trainer
- Massachusetts State License – Athletic Training
- 3-5 years of athletic training experience in a collegiate setting is preferred
- Must have ability to travel with athletic teams to away contests as necessary
- Ability to work during the day as well as non-traditional hours in the evening, on weekends and on holidays, as necessary
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and complete tasks by established deadlines
- NCAA DI collegiate playing and/or coaching experience preferred.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
● Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
● Resume or Curriculum Vitae
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 10/19/21
Position Code: 532, 534