Position Overview & Responsibilities
The assistant baseball coach is responsible for assisting the head baseball coach in all aspects of running an NCAA Division I baseball program by recruiting academically qualified prospective students-athletes, developing and implementing training sessions, practices and game plans, educating and coaching student-athletes, and supporting student-athletes in their personal, academic and athletic development at Merrimack College. This full-time position reports directly to the head baseball coach and is responsible for assisting in all phases of the program in accordance with NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference and Merrimack College rules, regulations and policies.
1. Assist in the supervision and direction of all aspects of the team, at the direction of the head coach.
2. Participate in the recruitment of high-quality student-athletes, including the planning of on-campus visits.
3. Participate in the development of student-athletes — personally, academically and athletically.
4. Assist in on-field coaching; help plan and run training sessions and practices.
5. Scout opposing teams and assist in the breakdown of game film for teaching purposes.
6. Coordinate team travel planning, meals and logistics.
7. Attend individual student-athlete meetings with head coach
8. Help monitor academic progress and ensure the academic success of team members.
9. Represent the program with the highest level of professionalism, sportsmanship and integrity.
10. Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as well as trust and mutual respect.
11. Foster and maintain a culture that demonstrates a commitment to NCAA rules compliance.
12. Participate in departmental activities including staff meetings, compliance education, diversity, equity and inclusion training, guest speakers and other events/meetings.
13. Fulfill other specific areas of responsibility to be assigned by the head coach.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Knowledge of NCAA rules and intercollegiate athletics
• Commitment to and experience with diversity, equity and inclusion best practices, especially in higher education
• Commitment to supporting the academic success and overall well-being of student-athletes
• Demonstrated recruiting skills and knowledge
• Knowledge of video editing and production
• Excellent interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent administrative and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and complete tasks by established deadlines
• Experience coaching baseball at the collegiate level required; experience coaching baseball at the NCAA DI level, preferred
• Experience playing baseball at the collegiate level, preferred
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for 3 references
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 1/15/22
Position Code: 30