Position Overview: Hands to Help is a resource center facilitated through a partnership with Merrimack College and Saint Mary of the Assumption parish in Lawrence, MA. The Assistant Director will work with a Graduate Fellow to provide a range of services to individuals and families in the Lawrence neighborhood including but not limited to completing job applications, applying for public housing, building resumes, crisis assistance, and connecting with other nonprofit agencies in the area for additional resources. The Hands to Help office serves a predominately low-income Latinx community and, therefore, the Assistant Director will need to be knowledgeable on issues affecting the Latinx population (i.e. immigration, education, healthcare). The Assistant Director will also oversee the management of the children’s tutoring program, the undergraduate student volunteer program, and will work directly with the public. The Assistant Director’s time will be spent primarily at Hands to Help in Lawrence with occasional work needing to be completed at Merrimack College in North Andover.
The Office of Community Outreach seeks applicants to serve as the Assistant Director of Hands to Help. The Assistant Director reports to the Director of Hands to Help and will provide leadership and management for Hands to Help’s operations. This position will collaborate with different stakeholders at Merrimack College to implement new initiatives bringing together the Lawrence community and Merrimack College. This is a full time, 12-month position. Candidates for this position are required to satisfactorily complete a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check.
- Work directly with the public to provide a range of services to individuals and families in the Lawrence neighborhood including but not limited to assistance finding resources, completing job applications, applying for public housing, building resumes, crisis assistance, and connecting with other nonprofit agencies in the area
- Lead and manage the children’s tutoring program Monday through Thursday from 2:30pm – 5:00pm
- Maintain relationships and communication with tutoring program parents and partner organizations
- Plan, organize, and assist with workshops and events at Hands to Help and or on campus
- Assist with central office tasks, attend weekly staff meetings, and maintain familiarity with current trends in community engagement and higher education.
- Oversee the management and training of the undergraduate student volunteer and student employment programs
- Collaborate with different stakeholders at Merrimack College to implement new initiatives
- Assist in marketing Hands to Help in the Lawrence community and at Merrimack College
- Research best practices and theory in the field of university-community partnerships
- Conduct assessment and evaluation of the existing programs
- Create and distribute department information to parents and students (Admitted Students Days, orientation, involvement fairs, etc.).
- Local travel between Merrimack College and Hands to Help (5 miles from the College).
- Evening work once a week is likely and weekend work is occasional
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Hands to Help and/or VP for Mission & Ministry.
- Completion of relevant master’s degree (e.g. community engagement, higher education, student affairs, or others) or 2-4 years of work experience in community engagement or higher education.
- Must be bilingual in Spanish and English (fluent).
- Demonstrated sensitivity in developing educational and community programs
- Commitment to social justice within a community of diverse racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and other identities
- Demonstrated experience working with students, staff, faculty, and community groups
- Computer skills (Google Suite, Microsoft products).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for a variety of audiences.
- Strong presentation and workshop facilitation skills.
- Strong customer service skill set.
- Comfort and knowledge regarding use of social media.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.