Position Description & Responsibilities
The School of Health Sciences at Merrimack College in North Andover, Massachusetts is seeking an outstanding and highly motivated staff member to join our newly established bachelor of science in nursing program. We invite applicants to become part of our inaugural nursing program as part of the dynamic School of Health Sciences, established in 2017. Applications for an Assistant Director Nursing Lab/Simulation Learning, 10-month contract (mid-August through mid-June) staff position in nursing, to begin in Fall 2021 are now being requested. Merrimack College recently opened a state-of-the-art Nursing Center. This space includes 6 simulation labs, 2 classrooms; 2 debrief rooms, 15 faculty offices and 2 large student collaborative spaces. Merrimack College is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Merrimack College is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We seek candidates with a demonstrated ability to work with students across a broad range of social and personal identities and perspectives. We particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Under the supervision and in collaboration with the Executive Director of the Nursing Program, the Assistant Director is responsible for day to day operations, coordination, scheduling and oversight of all undergraduate nursing labs. Developing, facilitating and evaluating lab skills and simulation scenarios in collaboration with nursing faculty is a large part of the role. Mentoring new lab faculty and coordinating the administration of clinical competencies as required in the nursing program. Assists in use of, inventory, maintenance, and ordering of equipment and supplies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
1. Master of Science Degree in Nursing required; DNP or PhD preferred; with a current/unencumbered Massachusetts state RN license;
2. Minimum of three years of clinical experience in nursing required;
3. Minimum of two years of simulation/laboratory experience in BSN nursing program required;
4. Evidence of simulation scenario development and familiarity with the INACSL Standards of Best Practice - Simulation;
5. Ability to obtain Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) Certification within 2-3 years of hiring;
6. Knowledge of clinical competencies required in a BSN program;
7. Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, especially as relevant to health science and health services;
8. Evidence of the ability to maintain records of inventory for equipment and supplies;
9. Evidence of outstanding oral and written communication skills.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Statement
- Contact information for 3 references
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 7/24/21
Position Code: 0867