The Merrimack College Athletic Department seeks a qualified candidate to fill the role of Assistant Director of Athletic Communications. This full-time, benefited position will report to the Director of Athletic Communications and play a key role in promoting the 24 NCAA Division I sports sponsored by Merrimack through both new and traditional media forums. Merrimack College is a member of the Northeast Conference (NEC) and Hockey East.
The Assistant Director of Athletic Communications will serve as the main point of contact for specific programs. Emphasis will be in the areas of game day management, record-keeping, archival maintenance, publications, photography, video and information technology. The successful candidate will be able to deliver content to a broad base of constituents in a variety of formats. Extensive evening, weekend and holiday work is required.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Responsible for managing the publicity efforts for assigned sports and writing, editing and distributing all press releases; social media management for multiple accounts across a variety of platforms; editing videos (season previews, game highlights, etc.); and designing of game day programs, flyers and similar materials.
- Serve as game day manager for student employees and game-day event staff.
- Communicates with and solicits media for event coverage and feature stories on Merrimack College student-athletes, teams, and other department milestones and accomplishments.
- Completes conference, regional and national award applications to recognize coaches and student-athletes from assigned teams and programs.
- Other duties as assigned and necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communications, Media/Public Relations, Journalism, or similar Experience working in an athletic communications office at a Division I NCAA college or university.
- Must have excellent oral, written/editorial and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must possess a demonstrated mastery of AP style writing and editing skills.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and current trends in the industry.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Macintosh computers and operating systems.
- Strong background with Adobe Creative Suite software (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.).
- Knowledge of basic layout and design principles.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, with an emphasis on multitasking and working within a team environment while filling a variety of roles, especially on game day; Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends as necessary are required.
- Strong working knowledge of StatCrew/The Automated Scorebook statistical software.
- Webcast production and basic video editing skills.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application Materials Should Include:
- CV or Resume
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
Unless otherwise stated above, this is an on-campus position. This opportunity is not a remote or hybrid position as employees are essential in order to provide a fully on-campus, residential college experience for our students and the community. Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Position Code: 250