Position Overview: The Assistant Director of Outreach and Operations will provide leadership and coordination of all aspects of the food recovery network initiative including establishing new agreements with food vendors, making arrangements for food pick up/drop off/deliveries, management of volunteer labor force, identifying opportunities for food distribution and expanding service opportunities. They will provide vision, direction and oversight for all aspects of the Food Recover Network and the ongoing development of new initiatives concerning food justice (i.e nutrition workshops, diabetes prevention workshops etc). Additionally, the Assistant Director will also work to engage students in these initiatives through regular on campus programming. This position will supervise 1-2 graduate fellows.
- Develop, clarify and negotiate agreements with new and potential donors (e.g., grocery stores, farms, etc.)
- Establish agreements made with agencies that distribute food to those in need and specify the meal type, number of meals provided, when meals would be delivered, and whether the meals should be ready to serve or can be frozen.
- Arrange for the pick up of donated food, transport it and store it appropriately at 60 Island Street.
- Manage volunteers, including scheduling, arranging transportation, providing training and supervision and verification of supervision
- Coordinate with the faculty advisor of the Food Recovery student organization to expand continue and expand services
- Become ServSafe Certified and manage implementation of ServSafe policies
- Identify opportunities for food donation
- Coordinate food deliveries to non-profit organizations
- Work closely with faculty members from the school of Health Sciences to expand service opportunities
- Plan occasional on campus programing to engage students
- Manage various budgets
- Other related duties as assigned
- BA required, MA preferred
- 5+ years of relevant experience in the field in replacement of masters degree
- Bilingual in Spanish (oral and written communication)
- Understanding and knowledge of nutrition and food insecurity
- Experience working with marginalized and historically underserved groups
- Understanding, knowledge of intersecting identities and ability to relate to differences within and between groups.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume. Merrimack College is committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community, based on the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that values diversity and inclusive excellence at Merrimack College.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 5/25/21
Position Code: 0861