Position Overview: The Merrimack College Writing Center seeks an Assistant Director. The center is writing in the disciplines and social constructionist-based, with a staff of approximately twenty consultants/fellows, an administrative assistant, and a director. The Writing Center is a unit of Merrimack’s collaborative and team-oriented Academic Success Center. The ASC is a community of professionals who operate around the goal of enhancing student success. This position is a 12-month position that reports to the Director of the Writing Center.
- Assist with the day-to-day operations of a vibrant and growing writing center (2150 consultations in the 2017-2018 Academic Year);
- Participate in consultant and fellow recruitment, selection, hiring, and training;
- Develop and present writing and literacy related content to classes as diverse as Introduction to Business and Graduate Health Sciences;
- Provide leadership for the Writing Fellows Program;
- Support additional initiatives (e.g. Undergraduate Research journal, NASA TTP Partnership); and assist with website maintenance;
- Teach FYE 1000/1050: First Year Experience; teach or co-teach WRT 4850: Writing Center Theory and Practice; and manage an academic success coaching caseload;
- Perform other duties as required.
Adjunct teaching may be possible after departmental review and with proper credentials. Support for research and professional development is available. Flexible scheduling is possible. Some late afternoon or evening hours - and more rarely weekend work (2-3 times/year) - is expected. The position may include some assistance with our college-wide subject tutoring efforts.
- MA in composition, TESOL, literacy, linguistics, technical writing, or a related area
- Writing Center experience
- Expertise with content area writing (e.g. STEM, publishing, social sciences, education)
- Familiarity with composition theory and pedagogy
- Technological proficiency in Google Suite and WCOnline
- Comfort in growing and sustaining professional relationships
- Fluency in Spanish
- A Growth Mindset approach
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.