Position Overview & Responsibilities
The Department of Computer Science at Merrimack College invites applications for the position of Program Director and Professor in the online Master’s of Computer Science. The successful candidate will
start in Spring 2022 and must demonstrate potential for a record of excellence in teaching and service to the department that includes course development, instruction, advising, and master’s program engagement and oversight. The candidate will be expected to teach a typical 12-credit-per-semester workload across the online graduate curriculum in the area of Software Engineering, mentor master’s students in year-long software development projects, and administrate the graduate program including outreach to external partners, maintaining the program budget, and hiring faculty for teaching responsibilities. The program director will work closely with the chair of the department to guide the program’s growth.
Requirements for the position include:
- A Ph.D. in computer science, data science, mathematics, or a related field, and
- demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college level
- work or educational experience in the area of software engineering or data security.
Also desired are:
- ability to use technology effectively in the classroom;
- demonstrated interest in and experience with innovative pedagogies;
- understanding of and experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion issues in
- STEM and beyond.
Statement on Our Mission
Merrimack College is a Catholic Augustinian institution of higher education committed to building a culturally and racially diverse community. Our mission is to enlighten minds, engage hearts and empower lives and is inspired by our Catholic faith and the Augustinian tradition of seeking truth through inquiry and dialogue.
Merrimack College seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to Merrimack’s Augustinian mission and values and advance our work in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. All candidates should describe in their application previous experience related to equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as how they will engage in fostering a culture that supports our Augustinian mission, our Catholic faith and our values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter stating motivation and interest in the position, citing experience relevant to the qualifications and including experience with, and commitment to, our Catholic Augustinian mission, our values, and our desire to be a more diverse, equitable and inclusive institution of higher learning.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Statement
- Unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation that address your teaching and leadership
- This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Required Vaccinations & Remote Work:
This position is a remote position and does not require the applicant to be on campus.
Merrimack College currently has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19.
About Merrimack College:
The only Catholic, Augustinian institution of higher education in New England, Merrimack College is a private, independent, coeducational institution with more than 5,000 undergraduates and graduate students from 32 states and 37 countries, and comprises schools of liberal arts, science and engineering, health sciences, education and social policy, and business. The college’s 260- acre campus is approximately 25 miles north of Boston in North Andover and Andover, Massachusetts. Merrimack is a Master’s Colleges & Universities/Medium Programs institution in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Merrimack is one of the fastest growing educational institutions in the country and has steadily climbed up U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Best Colleges, coming in 46th out of 170 schools ranked in the Regional Universities North category in 2020. Merrimack is also listed as one of the top 10 most innovative schools and placed 35th for best undergraduate teaching programs among schools in the U.S. News category.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date: 9/19/21
Position Code: 881