Position Overview: Under the direction of the SVP and CFO, the AVP and Controller is responsible for developing, directing, coordinating, and controlling day to day accounting, financial reporting, and budgeting within the College. This position provides oversight by providing direction to subordinates, consultation with senior level financial management, and persons and/or departments performing related functions over the financial activities of the College.
- Provide all consultation and support necessary to SVP and CFO and other senior management in the development and monitoring of College financial policies and procedures. This may include attendance at meetings and presentations before any and all institutional boards and committees.
- Provide direct supervision over the general accounting/financial reporting including the Bursar’s Office, Payroll, and Accounts Payable functions. Personnel related actions such as hiring, performance appraisal, development, promotion, counseling, and exit.
- Provide support to the SVP and CFO as the primary resource with respect to technical accounting (GAAP and regulatory) and tax guidelines.
- Provide direction, consultation, and technical assistance in the preparation, presentation, and monitoring of the operating and capital budgets and provide support in the formulation of long-term financial forecasts and strategic planning.
- Responsible for the financial accounting and reporting, including formal analytical review of all material balance sheet, income statement, and donor funds.
- Collaborate on the development of documentation for and provide training programs to non-finance departments with respect to financial policies and procedures.
- Provide day to day consultation and coordination of functions with the Director of Procurement to assure control over college expenditures.
- Provide consultation and technical assistance to the HR department to assure proper accounting and reporting of payroll and related expenses.
- Responsible for the preparation of all required reports to Federal, State, City, and other regulatory bodies and groups for taxes, licenses, and other purposes.
- Direct all audits conducted by regulatory agencies.
- Direct the completion of annual audits and outside regulatory reviews.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or accounting.
- Certified Public Accountant
- At least ten years of experience in positions of increasing fiscal responsibility in non-profit accounting or control, preferably in higher education.
- Proficiency in non-profit accounting with a knowledge of GAAP.
- Familiarity with financial accounting standard and IRS rules and regulations, cash management skills, experience with complex integrated automated systems.
- At least 3 years of management of direct reports.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and coordination skills commensurate with oversight and evaluation responsibilities for a complex set of business and fiscal functions.
- Ability to effectively communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with administration, staff, faculty, students, and external contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight time-frames and simultaneously manage several projects. The individual in this role must be able to guide a team to complete milestones within, or advance of, stated deadlines.
- In-depth knowledge of principles, practices and theories related to budgeting and financial analysis in ever-changing environment.
- Master’s degree with concentration in finance or accounting.
- Financial experience in a major not-for-profit educational, research, scientific or engineering institution.
- Experience with Jenzabar (CARS), data querying tools (Cognos, Adaptive Insights, etc.), relational databases, and Microsoft Office applications.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.