Position Description: Reporting to the Deputy Director of Athletics, the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and Administrator is responsible for the oversight, supervision and coordination of all activities related to athletics compliance as related to NCAA Division I, Northeast Conference (NEC), Hockey East and Merrimack College bylaws, rules, and regulations. This position shall create an atmosphere for commitment to compliance and institutional control with all coaches, staff, student-athletes, university personnel, alumni and donors, mitigating risk for the College and the athletic department. This individual will oversee student-athlete academic services, including academic support, academic advising, study skill development and career preparedness and will collaborate with cross-campus resources to support student-athlete academic progress, maintain NCAA eligibility and develop well-rounded, employable graduates. Finally, the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and Administration will ensure that all institutional fiscal policies are adhered to and will monitor sport-specific budgets in coordination with the appropriate sport administrator.
- Provide senior level leadership to the athletics compliance area; oversee a comprehensive NCAA Division I athletics compliance program including, but not limited to the implementation and monitoring of all policies and procedures, recruiting, eligibility, financial aid, playing and practice seasons, student-athlete employment, amateurism, extra benefits, outside income.
- Establish and execute an ongoing athletic compliance NCAA DI rules education program to effectively reach student-athletes, coaches, staff/faculty, alumni and donors.
- Provide oversight to the Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance, including the establishment of goals and priorities, providing opportunities for continued growth and professional development.
- Assure the timely investigation, resolution and self-reporting of NCAA rules violations and filing of waiver requests, as they may occur.
- Collaborate with the Faculty Athletics Representative to certify that all student-athletes meet all NCAA, NEC and College requirements for initial and continuing eligibility for athletic participation, for both practice and intercollegiate competition, and financial aid.
- Provide senior level leadership to the academic support services area and collaborate on initiatives with the college’s Academic Success Center to support the needs of all student-athletes related to enhanced study skills, achievement of academic goals and preparedness for post-graduate opportunities.
- Provide oversight to the Coordinator for Student-Athlete Academic Services, including the establishment of goals and priorities and providing opportunities for continued growth and professional development.
- Ensure that all institutional financial policies are adhered to by coaches and staff; monitor sport-specific budgets in coordination with appropriate sports administrator; provide assurance of fiscal control for the department of athletics with the institution’s finance office.
- Serve as sports administrator to a select number of teams, providing leadership, advice, counsel, oversight and guidance to the head coach of each program. Serve as the initial point of contact for all issues related to assigned sports program and exercise proactive leadership to resolve concerns for coaches, student-athletes and/or support staff.
- Represent the department on a variety of campus committees as deemed appropriate.
- Willingness and ability to work nights/weekends, including non-traditional hours and holidays. Travel with teams as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Five years of experience in athletic compliance with demonstrated growth in responsibilities; NCAA Division I experience preferred.
- Three or more years experience in athletics budget oversight/fiscal responsibility preferred.
- Demonstrated success managing staff and coaches through clear communication and a cooperative attitude.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to educate and communicate with a broad range of constituents about NCAA compliance
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and manage stressful situations.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional leadership skills.
To Apply: Please apply online with cover letter and resume.
This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check.
Merrimack College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.